Old cpu at high voltage

stanniamen

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
hello
I'm trying te get an old pc running again bit the cpu doesn't work anymore (intel i486 dx2 @ 66MHz)
I have an other cpu (cyrix Cx486DX2 V80GP 4.0V) wich works well but that one is meant to run @ 4.0V, the intel was 5.0V so the motherboard gives 5
so can I put the cyrix on it or will it brake? I've tried it already and it works but it was never longer than a minute or so

Greats Stan

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
omg i think i wasnt alive when those CPU's were out.

unless this is some project in making an old fashioned pc for fun just get new parts...

:)

stanniamen

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I've found 2 old (broken) pc's in my grandmothers basement and i'm building 1 working pc
1 of the pc's has win 3.11on it and i have a win95 upgrade cd (also floppy's of excel and word 4.0)
16Mb ram, 512Mb HDD, 2floppy's and 2 cd-roms (2x & 8x)

it's just for fun and i don't need performance, just some text edit stuff, playing solitaire, minesweeper, doom1, ...

oh, and the manual says it's high end :lol:

all is running but i don't know for shure that te cpu will brake or not (i don't think he'll get hot cause these are the first cpu's wich actually need a cooler, so the cooler is only needed when the cpu is stressed as far as i know)

stanniamen

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
the point is that my intel is broken and i don't know that the cyrix will break too when it gets 5V instead of 4
yes i have a new pc and the one with the cyrix is just for fun
it works and i'm ready to install win95 on it but i'm not shure what will happen with the cpu when he's running for a long time at a to high voltage

i don't think he'll overheat but maybe he will break for some other reason caused by the voltage

so will it work fine or will it break?

and wisecracker, i know it's pin compatible, the cpu works fine on that mainboard, but i haven't treid it longer than 1min or so cause i'm afraid that cpu will do thing i don't want it to do

donpacific2k

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
What's the point of restoring an old car? Have some imagination people! The guy's got a hobby, and is asking a question of a group of people that will likely know the answer.

Back in the day there were CPU adaptors that had some sort of voltage regulator built in for this type of situation. I don't know where you'd find one of them, and for the same price or cheaper you could probably find the right voltage 486 processor. It's more a matter of how much $$ you're willing to spend to track one down. I can't be the only one with a collection of old processors (not sure if I have that exact one though).

Heh, or you could always look up the pinouts online and see if you can roll your own voltage regulator on the cheap. Or just run it at 5v (i've never overclocked by more than .5v and 1 sounds like trouble waiting to happen). Either way keep a fire extinguisher handy, since this homebrew stuff is at your own risk!

Are you sure the motherboard doesn't have a jumper setting to step down the voltage before going to all this trouble??