Jan 5, 2009
Hi, I make a computer about half a year ago for gaming. This is my build:
-Thermaltake Xaser VI case
-Processor Intel Quad Core Q6700
-HDD Seagate Maxtor Diamond Max 500GB
-RAM G.Skill Extreme PC3-12800 DDR3 1600 4GB
-Motherboard Asus Striker II NSE NForce 790i Socket 775
-VGA Nvidia 8800 GTX
At the beginning it crashed sometimes when I was playing ,for example, Age of Conan or some new games, but I thought it was an instability game problem. It kept freezing and crashing even when I was just in desktop downloading something, surfing Internet or playing any kind of game with Windows XP SP3.
I thought it could be a virus or trojan, I used a lot of antivirus and antispyware and nothing went better. I formated with Windows XP again and installed all the Service Packs, but the problem was still there. I did memtests checks and they didnt find any problem with more than 15 hours checking, I also updated BIOS version.
With patience, I managed to survive until Christmas, but I bought Far Cry 2 and the problems were even worse. I installed Windows Vista Home Premium because I thought it could be a XP incompatibility, but nothing changed. I looked for new Nvidia drivers and I installed the 180.43 because they are supposed to be the best for Far Cry and new games, but again, nothing changed. I checked the GPU and CPU temps while playing. GPU max temp was 62ºC, and CPU was lower than 50ºC. I tried many BIOS configs, changing even the Memory Voltages, but I solved nothing.
The crashes sometimes freeze the screen and the computer, and I cant do anything but shut down the computer manually, and sometimes it reboots automatically. Also, when I reboot or it crashes, sometimes the screen has characters "flying" and flashing, like when you overclock the computer too much (I dont have the computer overclocked).
I dont know what else to do, could you please help me? :(

RooSTeR

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Sorry but Im not an expert in hardware, what do you mean with a brand name with and Intel P45 chipset?

Also, I forgot to mention that in some of the crashes, the network adapter fails and I have to reset CMOS to get the net working again, because it doesnt recieve IP from DHCP and it doesnt matter if I change it, the IP is something like 169.248.24.199 :??:
After reseting CMOS, it works correctly.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> what do you mean with a brand name

ASUS or Gigabyte

The other brands are also-rans.

You have the NForce 790i chipset, made by NVIDIA.

Intel makes the P45 chipset, which includes
the Northbridge and Southbridge chips
which come pre-installed on a motherboard.

For a quick sampling of ASUS P45 motherboards,
go to Newegg.com and enter "ASUS P45" in the search window:

http://www.newegg.com

MRFS

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> RAM G.Skill Extreme PC3-12800 DDR3 1600 4GB

Also, is your RAM 2 x 2GB or 4 x 1GB?

4 x DIMMs will put more stress on the Northbridge,
even at stock settings.

For that class of machine, it pays to go with the
Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) feature
-or -
the NVIDIA EPP (Enhanced Performance Profile) feature
which allow the BIOS to choose near optimal memory timings
automatically.

MRFS

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
This is just a hunch, so caveat reader:

I seem to recall reports that the NForce 790i Northbridge
gets pretty hot, particularly when 4 x DIMMs are installed.

Check around the Internet for comments and reviews
complaining of same.

MRFS

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
QVL lists:

CORSAIR CM3X1024-1600C7DHXIN DDR3 1600 1024MB
OCZ OCZ3P1600EB1G DDR3 1600 1024MB
OCZ OCZ3T1600XM2GK DDR3 1600 1024MB
PQI MFADR322LA0101-08A3 DDR3 1600 1024MB

Note also columns headed "DIMM socket support (Optional)"
and the corresponding footnotes.

MRFS

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
the only boards cable of sli are the nforce boards or the x58 chipset. the nforce boards are plauged with problems and I forsee Nvidia leaving the motherboard market in the near feature.

Your psu is not a very good quality psu. This could be the culprate. I would also try running memtest86, before you start buying new parts. Might be a bad memory module.