Sign in with
Your question

WD Scorpio

Last response: in Storage
July 3, 2010 8:02:14 PM

Hello,I purchased a 500gb WD Scorpio HDD and when I cloned it with my original 60gb HDD it also ended up as a 60gb HDD.
How can I get my WD Scorpio back to 500gb.....please.

More about : scorpio

a b G Storage
July 4, 2010 3:11:05 AM

Download and install a partition management program, like Partition Wizard (the Home edition is free). Use it to expand the 60 GB partition to the entire 500GB of the HDD.
July 5, 2010 8:36:46 PM

treefrog07 said:
Download and install a partition management program, like Partition Wizard (the Home edition is free). Use it to expand the 60 GB partition to the entire 500GB of the HDD.

Thanks for your help treefrog07 but I now realise that my laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400) doesn't recognise the full size of the HDD.
Could you offer any help on how to solve this problem.
a b G Storage
July 5, 2010 10:15:38 PM

Have you entered your BIOS to determine whether or not you can choose a setting to allow larger HDDs, e.g., Automatic, LBA, or some other setting? Your computer may have a 120GB limit on the size HDD it can read/write. Dell has a BIOS update here for your Inspiron 6400. The Fixes and Enhancements do not include using larger HDDs, but it may allow it.

If neither works, try attaching the HDD to another computer and use the partitioning software to create 3 additional primary partitions @ 120GB. Don't change the settings on the original partition (it should be primary AND ACTIVE). After you are done you should have 4 120GB primary partitions and the first should be SET TO ACTIVE. You will lose the use of about 20GB, but you will have your OS and 3 other usable partitions.

Try the BIOS settings first.
Then try the BIOS update (the instructions are on the webpage).
Then try the operation on another computer.
!