My usb back-up hard drive disapeared from my computer

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Accessing Disk Management
There are a few different ways to access Disk Management. I'll list three different methods so choose whichever is more convenient.

Method 1 - Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools. Double click Computer Management and then click Disk Management in the left hand column.

Method 2 - By default, Administrative Tools is not shown on the Start Menu but if you have modified the Start Menu (by right clicking the Start button and selecting Properties > Customize) so it is shown then just select Start > Administrative Tools > Computer Management and then click Disk Management in the left hand column.

Method 3 - Click Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc in the Open: line and click OK. The Disk Management snap-in will open.

Wilkopolis

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
If your partition disappeared from your computer than I would say mission accomplished. If not:

-I would restart both your computer and external hard drive.

-I would attempt every single port configuration other than the one you are currently running.

-I would go to the support section of your external hard drives company's website and look for drivers or any software support they offer for that external hard drive of yours.