Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on this upgrade..

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2009 11:06:57 PM

Hi all.

Another gamer here looking to upgrade! led myself to here where I started some odd years ago building my first PC. I find myself here once again to make an upgrade and looking for suggestions on an affordable jump to get me out of the old Socket A days and into a good Socket 775. (Think im gonna give intel a shot this time!)

While salvaging some parts from my current set up I'd like to give my computer case a makeover..

What I have now

Windows XP
Biostar M7VIG VIA chipset Mobo
Athlon XP (Barton) 2800+
EVGA Nvidia 6600GT (AGP)
WD 320 GB 7200 RPM EIDE
Soundblaster Live (PCI)
SuperTalent DDR333 PC2700 1GBx2
AGI 400 PSU
Stock Cooling with some added case fans.

What I would like to do is keep the Case, HD, Soundcard and PSU for now.. Possibly even the ram if its compatible. I do have a BFG Nvidia 8600 GT (PCI-e) that I would like to use in my new setup..

What brought me to this was the new Low Budget build article that included the GA-EP45-DS3L combined with the E7300.. Although I see most people prefer the E5200.. ?

Much thanks to everyone.. I need all the help I can get since I've been out of the loop for so long!

More about : thoughts upgrade

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2009 11:32:17 PM

The guide in my sig might help you get started.
January 4, 2009 11:37:05 PM

It would help if you give us an idea what your budget is.
XP will work out fine until windows 7 is available. I'm not sure any of the parts you have would be that useful.
January 4, 2009 11:42:19 PM

you really shouldn't reuse any of the parts you already have. you would be much happier to spend a little extra money and get new everything. also, skip the 8600GT if you plan on doing any gaming.
!