Thoughts on this upgrade..

Hi all.

Another gamer here looking to upgrade! led myself to here where I started some odd years ago building my first PC. I find myself here once again to make an upgrade and looking for suggestions on an affordable jump to get me out of the old Socket A days and into a good Socket 775. (Think im gonna give intel a shot this time!)

While salvaging some parts from my current set up I'd like to give my computer case a makeover..

What I have now

Windows XP
Biostar M7VIG VIA chipset Mobo
Athlon XP (Barton) 2800+
EVGA Nvidia 6600GT (AGP)
WD 320 GB 7200 RPM EIDE
Soundblaster Live (PCI)
SuperTalent DDR333 PC2700 1GBx2
AGI 400 PSU
Stock Cooling with some added case fans.

What I would like to do is keep the Case, HD, Soundcard and PSU for now.. Possibly even the ram if its compatible. I do have a BFG Nvidia 8600 GT (PCI-e) that I would like to use in my new setup..

What brought me to this was the new Low Budget build article that included the GA-EP45-DS3L combined with the E7300.. Although I see most people prefer the E5200.. ?

Much thanks to everyone.. I need all the help I can get since I've been out of the loop for so long!
3 answers Last reply
More about thoughts upgrade
  1. The guide in my sig might help you get started.
  2. It would help if you give us an idea what your budget is.
    XP will work out fine until windows 7 is available. I'm not sure any of the parts you have would be that useful.
  3. you really shouldn't reuse any of the parts you already have. you would be much happier to spend a little extra money and get new everything. also, skip the 8600GT if you plan on doing any gaming.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems