I7 965 EE Stock Heatsink on Rampage II Extreme

synae

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Hello,
I've recently ordered a number of parts to build a new gaming PC, however within minutes I ran into some trouble. I decided to go with the i7 Core 965 Extreme Edition processor with the Rampage II Extreme motherboard. First I was having trouble getting the CPU into the socket (it seemed to be a really tight fit when latching, excessively so) and when I tried to put on the heatsink on I couldn't fit it. I would get one side in the hole but when I would go to the opposite side it would pop out the one that I got in. It was as if it was pivoting on something. Now I can understand wanting the heatsink to be on firmly but neither myself nor my brother (he's an IT for a rather large company and has built a few computers) could get it in.
I was simply wondering if this is normal or if others might have had this problem, if there are suggestions that I might need another heatsink, etc. If it seems like the medal legs on the heatsink were bent, something was wrong with the fitting of the CPU, or if I just didn't try hard enough (even mounted it felt like we were going to break the board from trying to force it on), etc I would appreciate any feedback.
I have sent the board back for a replacement as well as the CPU/stock heatsink and hopefully the new one will work, however I was just hoping that someone could give me some input before I get it back and try again.

(Note I have never built a computer before, however as I said my brother has, although it was a while ago and he's never mounted a heatsink like this one.)

Thank you and again I appreciate any help

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
The push-pins on Intel's stock HSF have well known engineering defects.

BEST WAY is to switch to a third-party HSF with a proper backing plate e.g.
this company is well aware of the problem with these dumb push-pins,
and they offer a "bolt-thru kit" for both LGA775 AND LGA1366 sockets:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thlgboreboxb.html

For the rest of this sordid story, read what this guy has written:

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/heatsinks/warning.htm

NB, in particular: "The chrome foot inside the red circle on the left"
for photographic proof.

MRFS

synae

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
sharken, as I said I tried however as I got one in and went to the other it would pop out the first one.

nocteratus, I tried for a while to get them in without mounting it first and I was pretty much bending the mobo trying to get it on since it wouldn't fit properly. After that didn't work I tried it mounted to see if it would give it more support.

MRFS, thank you for the help, I'm glad to see it isn't just me. I'm assuming I can just order one offline from newegg? (I'm picky about sites I order off of :x) Also would it be better for me to try the new one in hopes that it will work or would it be better for the long run just to get a whole new heatsink (ie are the stock heatsinks good when they fit compared to others since the default is free?).

Thanks again :)

Edit: Also, if you wouldn't mind could you suggest a link a good heatsink (that isn't to expensive) and a mounting system for my i7 965 EE onto a Rampage II Extreme? Thanks :)

synae

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Shadow, as I stated to nocteratus, I originally tried putting the HSF in before mounting and it wasn't working.

MRFS, I'm a bit of a new at this but I can't really picture how the "Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru-Kit Retail BOX Bolt-thru Board Mounting kit" would go. If you have some type of guide or pictures for it (I looked at the pictures from the link you gave me about it) I would appreciate it. It's just hard to understand how the i7 965 stock heatsink would be able to have that fit on it while keeping the bronze part with the thermal paste touching the back of the CPU.

I'll probably try the new heatsink I get (hopefully this new one won't also be defective) but if it doesn't fit either I suppose I'll try that.

Also, a bit off topic (well, not really) but under the guide at http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=602&pgno=1 under Step 7 it says "It will be quite loose", however when I was closing it on mine it was actually quite a tight fit, think it could just be the difference in board/normal?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your time :)

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I would guess the CPU was not seated. Hopefully, it is still ok.
The bolt thru kit looks like it works with their HSF coolers not the stock one.

synae

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I'm hoping for a replacement one anyways, although I can only assume it was seated properly. The CPU could only really fit one way with the golden arrow on the CPU lining up with the black one on the bored and it had to fit with the little circles.

That would probably explain it, I just couldn't comprehend how it would fit on the stock. Thanks for letting me know :)

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I got the retial i7 920 with the Asus p6T mobo and had a similar experience, but not as bad.

I found the CPU clamp to be very tight, but with a bit of grunt it closed. Similarly the HS&F was a bit of a pig to get on, but with a bit of force and confidence it went on in the end.

synae

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

Alright man thanks for letting me know it's not just me. I get my stuff back in probably a weekish so I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes :)

Right now I'm just trying to decide what fan/clip combo to go with.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

Did you monht the CPU and HSF with the MO in the case or out side of the case?

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007

Outside of the case, that way you dont bend the mobo if you need to use a bit of force.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks fr the reply.

I'm supprised that they dont say that in the installation manual.

NexCyber

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Hey there. Can we get an update on your results with your new Mobo and i7. I just got the rampage II and expect the rest of my build by tuesday and any info that might save me some trouble may help. I have been reading a lot of reviews and it seems the i7 platform is an extremely tight fit compared to older setups. Oh, and did you get a better cooler? You just bought the best overclocking equipment and it sounded like you were using a stock fan? I read a lot of reviews and ordered the CM V8 and it showed up today and I am freaking out how big it is.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I installed my CPU while iwas in my case (Antect 900).
It worked right from the fist boot up.

The problem with my first MO was that it had bent pins in the CPU socket and I forgot to install all the standoffs to secure the MO. I left off three on the right side.
I could have bent the mo while pressing on the board when butting on the CPU.

Good luck.