artifcating.when cpu is overclocked.

blaze15301

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
hello everyone. im having some problems. i keep getting artifacting when i play games. this has been happening every time i overclock my cpu. i have a phenom 2 720 at 3.5. my video card isnt overclocked its set at stock. its not over heating. does anyone have any advice as to how the cpu causes these things to happen. this happens in 3d06 but not fur mark and my over clock is prime 95 stable i did prime 95 12 hours. im not sure if it matters but when i unlock the fourth core my third cores dies but the 0,1,3 keep going 2 dies. i know im not over heating either.

Could be a power issue. Having the CPU draw more power cuts the GPU. Might not be a wattage issue, but an amperage issue on the 12V rail. Not sure about core unlocking as I've never owned an AMD but sounds like you should leave it at 3 cores which is just fine for gaming.

Yeah that's a good PSU so that's probably not the issue.

Question: does it happen at 3 AND 4 core OCs? Only 4 core? Because unlocking cores is notoriously uncertain. Also you mention it's fine in FurMark but not 3D mark. I just read this month's $550 gaming PC article and they mention that unlocking a core caused Dirt 2 to crash while other benchmarks were fine... so right now I'm thinking it could be an unlock issue. Have you been able to test other things? Does it happen while gaming?

blaze15301

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

i have only unlocked the cores once. i never gamed with hem. right now its a phenom 3. i dont plan to unlock the cores i just did it as an experiment. but i have noticed when i lower the clock speed everything is fine.

Hmm well it's definitely a unique problem. Are the framerates different with the OCed CPU? It could be a CPU bottlenecks the GPU so it runs ok, and then OCing the CPU let's the GPU go full out and that's causing artifacts to develop... Seems a bit unlikely but it's possible. What are you CPU clocks between stock and OC?

You could try running MSI Afterburner and enable voltage tweaking and monitoring. Run 3D06 and see what happens, it might be somehow not getting enough voltage. Might be worth trying to lower the GPU core clock 10 to 20mhz and see if it helps. Or increase the voltage 0.01 to 0.05V.

blaze15301

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
ive raise my voltage all the way to 1.55 that as high as i will go. and it still happens tome. i dont have a msi board i have a gigabyte board. my stock clock is 2.8. im at a common overclock. yes i gt higher frame rates witht overclock.

I don't mean the CPU voltage, keep that as low as you can while stable. I mean the GPU voltage. MSI Afterburner is a GPU tweaking tool but it works with any brand video card... for example I use it for OCing Sapphire 5850s AND an EVGA GT 240.

What settings are the tests running at? If you're using the free version of 3D06 it's only like 1280x1020 right? You should try running FurMark at your maximum resolution, full screen, 4xAA for at least 10 mins and see if it artifacts with the OC CPU.

blaze15301

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

Ah I believe that the mars part runs straight off the CPU. In that case, I'd really just ignore it especially if games are fine. Sucks that your card can't overclock but again, if it's ok in games and stable in windows I wouldn't worry too much about it.

blaze15301

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

well thast the problem i dont think it is the card. im pretty sure my cpu is the cause of all of this.
here is a pic of the online game i was playing when i noticed it. i jsut recently upped my cpu back up to 3.5 because i installed my water setup again.

http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp190/blaze15301/?action=view&current=artifacting.png

Hmm I don't see anything wrong in that pic... although I also can't make heads or tails of whatever's in the middle of the screen lol. Anyway, have you tried increasing your NB/IMC/Vtt voltage (I don't know exactly what it will be labelled in your system BIOS) as opposed to just the core voltage?

blaze15301

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
those line are the artifacts. i see them in every game. they cover the screen when i over clock higher. but no i havent because im affraid ill ruin it. because i dont know how high i can go with it.