Hi, I just bought some parts from newegg

Here's the spec of the computer:

Mobo: Asus p6t deluxe v2
CPU: core i7 920
Video Card: Asus gtx285, 1G GDDR3
Memory: Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D, DDR3, 2Gx3 kit 1600mhz, clock 8-8-8-24
PSU: Cooler Master 850W
HD: Western Digit VelociRaptor 10000rpm 150G

Built it up yesterday and tried to power up, monitor received no signal in both VGA and DVI mode.
Keyboard also do not respond, number key pad lock/CAP lock will not turn on when pressed.
The motherboard LED and case LED are on, all the fans on the case, CPU are spinning.

I plugged in a mobo speaker on the motherboard, there is no beeps.

All the power are plugged into the motherboard, including the 24 pin and the 4 pin.

I unplugged all the memory it will beep 1 long 2 shorts repetitively.

I uninstalled the motherboard from the case, and put it on a cardboard box, unplugged the HD from the board and from the PSU, tried 1 memory stick at A1,A2,A3 position, tried another stick for the same thing. There is still no beep.

I also unplugged the video card there is no beep.

So here's what I did:

On the case, with all 3 memory sticks on the board, everything hooked up, no beeps
On the case, with no memory sticks, everything else hooked up, 1 long and 2 short beeps
On the cardboard box, with all 3 memory sticks on the board, video card on the board, no beeps
On the cardboard box, with 1 memory stick on A1 or A2, or A3 position, video card on the board, no beeps
On the cardboard box, with no memory stick, video card on the board, 1 long and 2 short beeps
On the cardboard box, with 1 memory stick on A1 or A2, or A3 position, no video card on the board, no beeps.
On the cardboard box, with no memory stick, no video card on the board, 1 long and 2 short beeps.

On all cases above, the 24 pin and the 4 pin PSU are plugged into the board. CPU Fan and LED light all on.

Also tried to unplug the BIOS battery for 10 seconds and put it back in, did the same thing again as above, still the same thing.

Any idea what's wrong? MOBO defect? Memory compatibility? Memory defect?

More about : built computer post

May 22, 2009 9:26:15 PM

I just read about it a bit on Asus' support site.

According to it, if I power up with only CPU installed, no RAM no video, and hear 1 long beep and 2 short beeps, that means the CPU is fine and the PSU is working.

Then I should plug in 1 memory stick and should hear a different pattern of beeps. However, when it comes to this part, I'm not hearing any beeps. So it says "it is a memory related issue."

I'm not quite sure what it refers to as "memory related issue"

It is clearly indicated in the user manual that this model of memory is compatible. And I tried all 3 sticks, one at a time, in almost all slots. Still no good. They are all brand new and came within the box. Bought it from newegg.

Again could it be my MOBO, or memory?
May 24, 2009 3:08:21 PM

Thats quite a situation.
Only thing I can think of offhand.
When you pulled the battery for bios reset did you also pull the power plug?
Those boards still contain power in the off posistion.
Try to unplug it and then press the power button to drain any residule power and then pull the battery.
Hope this helps.
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2009 3:59:12 PM

Did you match colors in the memory slots? Either all black or all orange, can't be mixed.
May 25, 2009 2:04:02 AM

OK it looks like it has a defect on the board. One of the small chips near the blue PCI-E slot was detached from the board. Hope that's what's causing the problem instead of my other parts so I can RMA it and get the new one to work.

Sigh.............
!