Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which one would you Get??

Last response: in Overclocking
June 17, 2010 10:29:43 PM

I have had the hardest time picking a cooler and I just want to finally get the right one.
I am getting these parts HAF-X. CrossHair 4 and Crucial Tracers (red).
With this case non should be too tall, then it needs to be AM3, and with the tracers there not that big at all.

Here are the candidates that I have been looking through:
Hyper 212+
Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
CM V8

There was a few more but I am to scared to get anything that weighs to much, cause I don't want my mobo to crack.
So the Frio, Noctuas, and a few more I decided on not getting cause of weight issues.

Anyways this is all I can come up with, and was hoping someone could give me a little advice on what to go with,
whether it be on of the above or not, please help me.

What I figured I would do is just get the 212+ cause I know it will fit on this setup even with taller memory. That has
been the hardest part, trying to figure out if the the cooler would bump uglies with the memory.

Thanks for any info or help

More about : question

a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2010 10:39:46 PM

I changed-out 2 Arctic Freezers for 2 CM Hyper 212+ (2 computers), they installed fairly easily and reduced my CPU temps 2-5C.
m
l
June 17, 2010 10:59:21 PM

how much money are you working with
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2010 12:04:16 AM

Well my entire rig with a 60$ cooler is like 1480, so I can do up to 90-100, I thought about the V10 but I think it might not
be worth the extra bucks. I looked at the artic cooler 7 but the 212+ is pretty sweet even though newegg wants 60$, which is
where I am buying my rig cause I am putting it on an EGG card for 12 months no interest, even though I have the majority of the money.

I am open to almost anything as long as it isn't to heavy that there is a risk that my mobo will break.

But I am all ears/
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 18, 2010 12:16:04 AM

Careful with the 212. My DDR2-800 memory has short sinks on them and the fan on the 212 barely clears. If you have anything that resembles tall sinks it might not work. My board is the Foxconn x38a, and it seems to be fairly similar to other intel S775 boards I've seen/owned. I suppose you could put the fan on the other side if you wanted/needed to. Or you could use the other ram slots. Or just make sure you have short sink ram sticks.

I only know the other coolers by name, no experience. I do know that while impressive, most people pass on the v8/v10. To big, to expensive, and don't cool enough for the price.
m
l
June 18, 2010 12:17:33 AM

what I forgot to add is performance per dollar isn't an issue, my main reason I am getting a cooler is so I can OC the
shizzle out of my cpu, so whatever is going to allow me to crank my 965 to greater heights is the winner!!

I liked the V8 cause it is so high, but I want something that isn't gong to block my crucial tracers (regular size).
m
l
June 18, 2010 12:39:26 AM

Hardward Canucks http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
The 212+ seems to do great, and why I think it gets beat in tests is because they don't use two very nice fans.
I am going to look for the best fans I can find, I wanted red leds, but I was planning on the 2 coolermaster 120mm red leds
to add on them, and use the stock fan for my air duct in the front of the case.
Also I confirmed that the hyper 212+ can be used for up and down config, and is esp. useful for cases like the HAF-X
that uses a lot of upper case exhaust!!!!!!!
m
l
June 18, 2010 2:15:45 AM

Well I have narrowed my memory down to 3 possible outcomes:
G.skill RipJaw 4gb DDR3 2000 PC3 16000 Cas. L=9 Timing @9-9-9-27 $129.99

G.Skill Trident 4gb DDR3 2000 PC3 16000 Cas. L=9 Timing @9-9-9-24 $139.99

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4gb DDR3 1600 12800 Cas. L=8 Timing @8-8-8-24 $131.99

All three are wonderful in their own way, the g.skills are on ASUS's QVL while the Crucial isn't but have read it works very well
and OCs easily to the 1600 on the crosshair 4.

The thing is the g.skill's are running at 2000 for the same price, the only thing is both of them are raised by a few mm's.

My first pick is the Tridents cuz TOMS gave it the best vram under 150$ award. While the Tracers come in second
cuz of the popularity among people I have talked to on forums ahwile back when people actually red these.

Last the RipJaws cause they don't have any special funtions or recommendations for it.

m
l
June 18, 2010 4:44:29 AM

dont get the v8 or v10 they arent worth it for the money. if you are wanting to OC the shizzle out of your cpu then watercool!!
m
l
June 18, 2010 5:35:51 AM

Well I have decided on the Hyper 212+ for the time being. I have drawn skematics of it based of diagrams
of the cooler and the crucial tracers. The tracers are only 30mm tall and the bottom part of the cooler is 37mm, this
gives 7mm between them which is enuff. However this gap loses mm for how close they because the pipes are there
at a slant. So if the pipes crossed over, it might get to close for comfort.
If I could just find one picture of a ch4 w/ a cooler then maybe I would have a better idea, all I can find is pics
of just the board and of the other Crosshair 4/

Anyways since i want to put them in so its facing up and down, its going to be closer to the ram then in the normal position.
I am not sure if I have to put my memory in certain dimms, but if not then I would put them in the black, that way it would
give me even more room!
m
l
June 19, 2010 3:32:08 AM

If I do a double fan on the 212+, shouldn't I hook both fans into the cpu header?
m
l
June 19, 2010 3:34:19 AM

cpu header as in cpu heatsink???
m
l
June 19, 2010 4:03:42 AM

sorry I mean plug them into a Y splitter so they both can plug into the motherboards cpu fan plug?
m
l
June 19, 2010 9:32:14 AM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
I have had the hardest time picking a cooler and I just want to finally get the right one.
I am getting these parts HAF-X. CrossHair 4 and Crucial Tracers (red).
With this case non should be too tall, then it needs to be AM3, and with the tracers there not that big at all.

Here are the candidates that I have been looking through:
Hyper 212+
Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
CM V8

There was a few more but I am to scared to get anything that weighs to much, cause I don't want my mobo to crack.
So the Frio, Noctuas, and a few more I decided on not getting cause of weight issues.

Anyways this is all I can come up with, and was hoping someone could give me a little advice on what to go with,
whether it be on of the above or not, please help me.

What I figured I would do is just get the 212+ cause I know it will fit on this setup even with taller memory. That has
been the hardest part, trying to figure out if the the cooler would bump uglies with the memory.

Thanks for any info or help

Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme :) 
m
l
June 19, 2010 6:32:10 PM

davcon said:
The Hyper 212+ or perhaps this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

That Zalam isn't half bad, on Frosty it gets 12.9, while the TT 120 Ex. gets 12.3!

I really liked the 212+ cause I could have it face up and down, which work very awesome in the HAF series cases.
Since I am getting crucial 1600 instead of the g.skill 2000, I have more head clearence, with the tracers only 30mm high
while the g.skilll 54mm.

In another topic I was thinking about going Intel, then when I was readjusting everything, I realized that I could just get the
1090t instead of messing around intel's inferiour chips and mobos.

To get a similar chip and mobo from my 1090t and Crosshair 4, well the only intel chip thats true 6 core is the 1000$, then
the Maximus or Rampage 3, are both 350$, SO 540 for AMD or without being fair 1350$ for intel.

Obviously there are a few chips that will beat it in certain things, but I looked through benchs and a 1090 pushing 4.0
was literally #2 place above all, while the 980 or what ever was ahead but not worth 700$ more.

Anyways I had a question about the 1090t. I saw its stock cooler and it actually looked as nice as an after market,
do you know what temps it runs at, and how high you can clock on stock stabley??
Its probably just wise to get an aftermarket esp. if the 212+ is 30$ at microcenter out the door.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 19, 2010 8:35:07 PM

Inferior? WTF are you talking about? Compare the i5 750 to the 1055T. Explain to me how the i5 750 wins most of the benchmarks. The 1055T gets close sometimes, but only wins in handbrake/encoding obviously. AV scanning, Photoshop, and the all important gaming benchmarks show the 4c/4t 750 winning even though it has two less cores. And when you get to the 4c/8t i7 series it helps Intel stay in the lead or close against the 6 core chips of AMD.

Not saying the 6 core chips are bad. But to call Intel Inferior is a bit of stretch.
m
l
June 19, 2010 9:58:20 PM

I wasn't talking about the 1050t, I am talking about the 1090t.
For its price/performance it is off the hook. I will apoligize inferiour was the wrong work. I was thinking more of
how much the whole setup costs compared to the AMD. The only word I can think of is Ripped. Like spending 1000 on
a cpu is a rip.
Don't get me wrong they are exellent chips and boards, and If I had the money to throw around I would probably
think about it. But to me the 1090t is the best chip to buy, not only cause of its performance but because
I can get a gigabyte UD7 or Crosshair 4 for under 250, plus the ATI Cards of 5800 series.

I am just not into intel at this point in time. I also have had three nvidia cards fry on me after 6 months, 1yearish, and one
after 2 1/2 years.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 19, 2010 11:11:49 PM

The 1090T is hit or miss. It can best the 930 or the 860, but tie the 750 depending on the program. its good for media apps, but if your building a gaming machine your better off with the 750.
m
l
June 19, 2010 11:47:22 PM

Well I don't game as much as I do, but I plan on playing games, like Diablo 3, BF2 and FarCry.
But I want it for a multi-tasking mean machine that does internet, word processing and all other software like a dream.

I want the overall best chip that does everything good and most things great. I don't game 24/7 like I do with
other programs, so considering to choose something tha only does games better is not my ally.

I am also am planning on getting matching mobo and gpu from Asus. The CrossHair 4 w/ the 5870 V2, I should have quite
the machine. The Crucial Tracers aren't 2000 like the g.skill but they seem to vary well from what I hear.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 20, 2010 2:10:02 AM

None of those tasks would max out a quad core. Heck, on my dual core E6600 I've had 10+ tabs open on firefox, Media monkey playing music, chatting on Yahoo msger, and have my BT client running without any issues. Gaming or media encoding are the two biggest things people can do with a computer. Surfing or typing doesn't bother a computer at all.
m
l
June 20, 2010 2:24:39 AM

Well a typical day consists of checking email, then using two browers on two separate screens with atleast 5-10 tabs.
Then I do word processing for school and burn music, listen to music, play videos. and then I practice C++, and video game programming with the books I bought. I also have plans for adobe cause the demos I have been using aren't enuff.
and then I make music with Fruity Loops, pro tools and other things through my firewire interface and midi. (M
Picture editing along with editing my videos from my skateboading.

then when I have spare time I play (currently) FryCry and BF2. Right now I mainly play my new X-Box.

Futute Plans: new Celestron telescope has a computer interface so I want to use it for that.
Adobe CS5 Master Suite (Hopefully)
3x 23" screen Acer setup
Diablo 3 and all the other cool games coming
Small Sound Studio for music, film and whatever(Personal use not like a major studio)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 20, 2010 3:40:10 AM

Adobe and possibly Fruity Loops are the only real multi threaded Apps you listed. A good quad core should be fine. Not saying the 1055 or 1090 is a bad idea, but you should check out your software to make sure its the best idea.
m
l
June 20, 2010 4:26:49 AM

Well the 1090 came into play the other day when I was considering Intel i7 930, Rampage 3 setup. I figured even
with the V2 5870 and everything else I could get the it and still be at 1580w/ 30mir.
But I wouldn't be able to get all the extra fans I wanted and a few accessarys.

I actually have had plans for the 965/V2 combo and my HX750/Crosshair 4 combo, together each of them I get an additional 30$ off. I really only thought about the 1090 because I thought it would do everything better than the 965 and then some.

But if the 965 should handle everything, and handle future plans, then I wouldn't have a problem getting it.
If I get the 965 it puts me under 1500$, so I could either get and increase on the HD, windows pro, better cooler and
whatever is with in the 50$ mark.

Let me ask you which is better the 7200.12 500gb or the Black Caviar 500gb??
I was told by different people that each one is better, then some say the caviar sucks because its two platters instead of one, and some say the 7200.12 sucks.
m
l
June 20, 2010 7:26:20 PM

Well thats suppose to be the next best thing in cooling. It has the direct contact and gets lower temps than every other cooler,
but it is like 1.3 Kg, which is even heavier than the Frio which I was looking at.
I have been looking everywhere for it, but I figured it wasn't going to be released in America.

There are two things I just bother me, one is liquid running threw my computer, and second a heavy mofo cooler. I would
kick my own butt, it I broke a 200+ motherboard. Thats why I really liked the 212+ its barely on the ricter scale it only
like 650 grams, half of the weight on the Eclipse. But the cooling power on it, is insane!!
I would have to tie strings on it to the top of the HAF-X, the HAF-X has these bars at the top for radiators, I would get like
fishing strings, paint them black and tie it so theres less downward force, but even force on the chip.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2010 4:11:32 AM

The big coolers should have a back plate. I know the 212 has one even though its a smaller one. I have the 212 and I didn't like installing it, but the back plate is there. It should help with preventing any bending/breaking of the board. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
m
l
June 21, 2010 4:25:14 AM

The two main things I want in a cooler besides cooling temps.
One, not so heavy that there is a risk of breaking my mobo.
two, fits, and doesn't hit my memory. If it hangs over that is normal, but, I do have plenty of room, cause I could
always use the second set of dimms, giving me an extra centimeter or so.

Any aftermarket cooler would be fine, its just finding the one thats for you, and your case.
Any of the top 20 on frostytechs list should be fine, but like always find the cheapest that gives the best.
m
l
June 21, 2010 4:30:19 AM

well you could always get the H50
m
l
June 21, 2010 4:39:11 AM

I thought about it, It seems like everyone likes it and uses it. I am not sure how well it work in a HAF-X.
I could either just do push/pull on the back, try and use the air vent, or rig it up top.
m
l

Best solution

June 21, 2010 6:52:46 AM

I actually got one on the way 60 bucks with free shipping from tiger direct if you can find the coupon everything on overclock.net says theyre pretty good just dont expect an amazing oc as its limited. Im sure it would work well though cause case temps will be low with all that airflow. Mines going into a Raven rv02.
June 21, 2010 7:39:48 AM

Yeah the H50 is cool looking and all but I don't think the temps are worth the it. If I was going to get a water cooling kit I would get the TermalTake Bigwater. I just want something that we let me OC the 955 up to 4.0ish stabley.

m
l
!