How can I measure if my GPU is bottlenecked?

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Hi, this might be a difficult or simple question...
I plan on getting a 480 and then a second 480 a month or 2 later for SLI.

specs
p6T v2
12gb 8-8-8-24 1604mhz ram
Intel g2 80gb SSD
i7 920 @ 3.35ghz
SB sound card

Will I be bottlenected anywhere in general for gaming?

If possible would anyone be able to explain how I can calculate the specs to see technically why and where the bottleneck would be?

Thank you

Solution
There is no way to do a calculation or submit the specs to a site to see where the "bottleneck" is. What makes things worse is that the bottleneck can be different for different activities you do. The CPU you use for gaming can be different then the CPU you use for media transcoding. From what I see you should be fine for GTX480 SLI.

Make sure your PSU is up for the task. Your going to need a high quality 750W at least, an 800W is even better. I'm not sure how well that 80GB SSD will hold up either. 80GB is pretty small for windows and games. With a lot of games taking 10GBs each not counting updates/patches you wont' be able to have many on the drive.

4745454b

Titan
There is no way to do a calculation or submit the specs to a site to see where the "bottleneck" is. What makes things worse is that the bottleneck can be different for different activities you do. The CPU you use for gaming can be different then the CPU you use for media transcoding. From what I see you should be fine for GTX480 SLI.

Make sure your PSU is up for the task. Your going to need a high quality 750W at least, an 800W is even better. I'm not sure how well that 80GB SSD will hold up either. 80GB is pretty small for windows and games. With a lot of games taking 10GBs each not counting updates/patches you wont' be able to have many on the drive.

Solution

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Thank you for that information and a quick reply! I have a 500gb and a 300gb velociraptor as 2ndary drives and the SSD stays with only one game and windows at a time. I'm pretty selective what gets installed so 80gb is alot