Changing Heat sink on the SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 4890 2GB

Rakivic

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Does anyone know if chaining the Heat sink on the SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 4890 2GB the same as any other video card....reason I am asking is this peculator card has extra cooling fins on the bottom for the extra ram (see pic) and I am not shore if I would have to remove that to get the stock heat sink of (or even how I would go about removing it).

saph4892gvapx_06s.JPG

Solution
Although, the vapor x cooling is great so i would rather you just remove the current hsf, clean it, clean GPU chip and re-apply thermal paste and sink and you should be fine. I did this with my XFX 4890 and dropped my temps by 5 degrees.

The reason you are getting high idle temps is not because your cooling is not effective, it could just be that the heat sink was not seated properly or that you have minimal airflow or just high room temperature. My 4890 idles at about 42 degrees with fan at 55%. The vapor-x cooling is better than the XFX stock cooler which means that buying a new heat sink is a waste.

mrhoshos96

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

why would you even remove the vapor-x cooling it's awesome or are you planning on water cooling it?

Rakivic

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

How is it Awesome they are both idling at 65C.....and no water cooling was thinking of using the T-RAD2.

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Although, the vapor x cooling is great so i would rather you just remove the current hsf, clean it, clean GPU chip and re-apply thermal paste and sink and you should be fine. I did this with my XFX 4890 and dropped my temps by 5 degrees.

The reason you are getting high idle temps is not because your cooling is not effective, it could just be that the heat sink was not seated properly or that you have minimal airflow or just high room temperature. My 4890 idles at about 42 degrees with fan at 55%. The vapor-x cooling is better than the XFX stock cooler which means that buying a new heat sink is a waste.

Solution

Rakivic

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Don't think air flow Is a problem thy are both in an Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black. I could try replying the stock first and see what happens will post back with results later tonight

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

You said they are both idling at 65 degrees. This means you have 2 cards right? If you are running crossfire then your temps will definitely be higher than normal. And btw, the top will be much hotter than the bottom card, MUCH higher.