Machine won't boot with 8GB of RAM

hendrikbriel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Hi,

I have an Intel D975XBX2 (Bad Axe 2) motherboard. According to Intel, the motherboard supports up to 8GB of ram.

When installing more than 4GB (2x2GB) though, the machine doesn't boot up.

I have tested all 4 my memory chips, which are of the same model and series: Kingston, KVR 667 D2N5/2G

Also, when I place the 4GB in a single channel, the PC won't boot up.

Can anyone provide some guidance to this troubleshooting?

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Any beep codes after powering up?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

1) Turn off all peripheral devices connected to the computer. Disconnect the computer’s power cord from the AC power source (wall outlet or power adapter).

2) Remove the computer cover.

3) Locate the battery on the board.

4) With a medium flat-bladed screwdriver, gently pry the battery free from its connector. Note the orientation of the “+” and “-” on the battery.

5) Leave the battery out for 10 - 15 minutes, for the CMOS to lose the settings.

6) Replace the battery in the connector, orienting the “+” and “-” correctly.

7) Replace the computer cover.

8) Turn the system back on.

from http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm

Sometimes when you run 4 sticks of memory, you need a little boost to the memory(0.1 or so) voltage and in some cases the chipset voltage. Also make sure the board is not trying to overclock the memory as that will be even harder with 4 sticks

hendrikbriel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
There are no beep codes. Simply nothing on the screen. (Beep does work as it beeps when booting up with 4GB) Cmos reset didn't help.

Will try tinkering with the voltages, and revert - a complete newby at this. Will boost both memory and chipset with 0.2V and let you know my findings.

Thanks for assisting!