Sign in with
Your question

Writing large amounts of data very fast for 8&16mm films

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 4, 2010 9:18:13 AM

Hi all,

I am looking for the optimal Storage configuration for use with a dataframescanner (www.mullerhm.nl) which scans old 8 and 16mm film.
This device will be connected to the pc through Dual Optical Fiber Copper connection to a PCI Express card.

Writing to disk
The scanner sends up to 26 photo's per second each about 3,5Mb in size. This means the PC has to write like the wind. The must be absolutely no delay in writing.

Large amounts of data
Scanning 20 minutes of film gives me about 250Gb of data. I will probably scan 4 hours of film each day totalling about 1TB of raw film data each day. After that I will encode, burn to DVD or Blu-Ray. I am still considering doing the encoding on the same machine or on a different one. If I do it on a different PC then the copying itself will be quite a challenge (copy speed for one pc to the other). At the end of the day, when i'm finished, I will delete all the data.

Data recovery
recovery of data in case of disk failure is not a main concern. If something happens, I still have the original film. It sets me back max one whole day of work.

Some questions:
- should I use a RAID 0 setup? I am thinking of 2, 3 or more disks
- can I fit 4 disks into one pc?
- Are lage disks (1Tb) slower than smaller disks (500Gb)?
- should I place these disks inside the PC or should I use an external NAS instead. I think the NAS will alway be slower?
- what is the fastest connection fron NAS to PC? eSate, USB3, Gigabit Ethernet, etc?
- what is the fastest conncetion from PC to PC for copying large amounts of data (total of max 1Tb) every day (eSata docking station, NAS, Gigabit Ethernet, USB3.0>
- which Windows 7 version should I use? 64 of 32, professional?
- what advantage has hardware striping (PCI card) over software (W7)
- any suggestions for hardware (Motherboard, etc)

Thanks for your help.
Roel (The Netherlands)
a b G Storage
July 4, 2010 1:55:45 PM

raid 0 sounds like what you need there. You may even want to look at a dedicated, caching raid controller. There's also disks designed for raid (tler support, such as WD RE2 drives)
4 disks in 1 PC is a question of physical space & power supply capacity, but yes in general
1TB drives should be faster - newer drives have a higher bit density, in general (search reviews on specific models though)
NAS will be slower but there is external direct attach storage if you need it (esata).

NAS to pc is a network connect, so it would be gigabit ethernet. direct attached storage could be usb 3 or esata. I'd google some benchmarks for comparison of the latter 2.

win 7 version relates to the software you are using - 64 bit if the software & drives are compatible (most should be these days) - mostly a question of your capture card I bet. 64 bit supports RAM > 4GB.
!