Advice on new graphics card please

I need a new graphics card because my 8800GTS 320 MB crapped out on me after a year and a half.

I mostly game and do simple tasks on my pc. I play new and older games at 1024x768 on a CRT monitor.

Counter-Strike: Source is my most played game, followed by Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, Crysis, and Red Alert 3.

Here is what I am working with:

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131568

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103608

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231047

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

I know my system will bottleneck a newer gfx card. (my 8800 GTS 320MB was slightly bottlenecked)

I'm not sure which card will optimize my gaming experiance. I don't want to run SLI. I just want a single card solution for now.

I just have no idea what an ideal card is when looking at: Streaming Processors, Core Clock, Shader Clock, and Memory Clock, Interface, Size, and Type.

Should I go with ATI Radeon HD 4000 series GDDR3 or GDDR5, or an Nvidia GeForce 9 series or GeForce GTX 200 Series?

I want a card that is best for Counter Strike: Source. It uses the HL2 engine I believe. My price range is $150-250.

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about advice graphics card please
  1. Ok first things first forget about bottlenecks. Yes you can get to the point where is just plain not worth buying a card that you wont see the benefit of but its actually beneficial to have a GPU that your CPU cant max out, you get to run more detail and get a better quality picture,AA/AF etc.
    So with that in mind granted it would be mad to run a 4870X2 on your system but a HD4670 performs a little better than a HD3850 which i have, and that wont max out Far Cry 2 with a 2.4 Core 2 at your resolution. So what i would suggest is you see if your budget allows for a HD4830.
    Yes it will be restricted somewhat by your CPU but as i said you can run extra Quality/detail settings without loosing FPS and should you upgrade or overclock the CPU at any time or switch to a larger monitor the card will be up to the job still.
    I guess it depends on budget and if you do plan any upgrading in future, if you are on a tight budget the 4670 will do a plenty good enough job and its probably just my personal bias coming into it with the 4830 as i like to think ahead.

Mactronix
  2. i would go with a gtx 260 216 core...but if i where you i would get a better motherboard like a 750i
  3. ^
    No.
    Now this is a case in point of what i am saying, thats way pointless getting something like that to run in the Ops system

Mactronix
  4. My system is 939 socket salabarria... I have one of the top 939 mobo's (Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe) and the top 939 processor (Athlon FX-60 @ 2.6 Ghz stock)...

I am not looking to build a new computer any time soon... I plan on riding out mine 939 system for at least another year or two.

I am just looking to replace my graphics card with whatever is best suited for my system for now..
  5. no offense just because it was top of the line a few years ago does not mean it is now. your cpu will be the bottleneck of newer gpu's and someone can correct me if i am wrong. get the XFX 4830 for like $124.99
  6. Of course my system isn't top of the line compared to what is out right now.. I never implied that. I was just saying I have top of the line for what there is in the 939 realm, so I can't upgrade any components. I am just looking to replace my gfx card cuz my 8800 died.

Also I already stated that I know my CPU will be a bottleneck for these newer cards.. it bottlenecked my 8800gts slightly.

I will look into the 4830. Thanks.
  7. and if you need more power you can always overclock the 4830
  8. Just an opinion like most of these but go Gtx 260 core 216 (maxing out your price range) or if you want an ATI card go 4850 or 4870 1 GB versions (the 512MB cards are a tiny bit cheaper but why not get the 1 gig ones so that if/when you do upgrade they'll last that much longer for you).

edit: foot in mouth disease :P
  9. ^
    Because as already stated the res is 1024x768

Mactronix
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product