dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
okay before i go any further let me post full system specs and say im sorry for the long post.

AMD Phenom II x2 555Be
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H
WINTEC AMPX 6GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
ATI Radeon HD 4890

okay here goes >=)
i have been doing some testing recently with core unlocks and overclocking
on the two games that i tested so far(Race Driver Grid and CoD 4) running my cpu at a default core and clock config produces no difference in FPS compared to either an overclock, unlocked core, or unlocked/overclocked core.
so i tested each game in 3 different ways and no performance increase what so ever.

now in terms of applications and how many are running (firefox, av-scan, defrag, ect.) i get better overall performance with the 3rd core enabled but again see no difference in overclocking.
of course benchmarking programs LOVES the extra core and the oc too, and shows it by much showing higher #'s

i do not understand how this could be true the only thing i could figure is the speed of the ram limiting the performance of the rest of my system regardless of core/overclock config.
but again a OC to the cpu should produce some results especially going from a default 3.2 Ghz all the way upto a 3.82-3.95Ghz and/or unlocking an extra core.

and lastly if a benchmark shows higher performance with an extra core or OC or even both why is this not showing the same performance increase across my whole system?

sumonpathak

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

actually u see..the performance increase will only show if do something very cpu intensive...unless you play an game or use any softwares that uses more than two cores,u wont feel any performance increase in the naked eye..........

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
i just tried out the same thing on BFBC2 because i suspected that and again no difference no matter waht config i use
original, oc'ed, extra cores, extra cores/oc'ed
no increase in FPS and that is a verry cpu/gpu intensive game.
btw im using FRAPS to gauge my FPS