How to restore computer to factory settings xp

deelau

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Hello,
Trying to restore computer factory setting to Windows XP. Used the restore plus CD enclosed with computer, then it asks me to insert 'Windows XP 2003 Home Edition' operating system CD. But the computer came with 'WINDOWS XP PRO SP1a' operating system CD. Forgive me for being a dunce about computers but are these operating systems same or different? How can I get round this?

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

They aren't the same - Home is pretty basic and Pro is the higher level version. You may also be looking at a Service Pack disparity. If you have a licenced copy of Pro, use that to reinstall or repair and leave the Recovery Option out of the equation.

tapko

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

you could simply use the disk that came with it and then update to sp2/3 after you use the disk..but if it asks for the disk then just follow the directions as it is looking for some files on the xp disk as it seems that it is restoring it to factory settings.

If you just did a fresh install from a copy that you have of xp then you would miss out on a lot of drivers that came with your computer..if you know all about what drivers you need then install a fresh copy which in some instances is better. But I suggest using the factory restore disk and just follow the instructions as finding all the drivers you need are a hassle.

If you can try to restart the process of restoring and make sure that you are doing exactly what it is saying to do..since they built it they will have the proper disk to insure that your computer goes back to when you bought it.

i hope this helps as your question was inquiring how to go back to factory settings when you purchased and not installing a fresh copy.

get back with us if you need any help..

deelau

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011

Dear Tapco

I've already tried the restore disc that came with the computer, which copies the info into the hard drive. Then once that's done it asks for the Windows 2003 home edition disc, which was not included with the computer. So when I put the 'Windows XP Pro Sp1a' disc (supplied with the computer) into either the CD or DVD drive, it is not recognised, and keeps prompting me to insert the correct disc. This is where I'm stuck really because I've now got a PC with no operating system due to the disparity of the software that was supplied when I bought it. Everytime I switch it on, the screen goes blue, then it asks me to put the restore disc in, which I'd already done, so this process will keep repeating until the correct disc is used. Looks like a trip to a computer shop to get the expert to load the software in properly.