Sign in with
Your question
Solved

DIMM Slot Configuration??

Last response: in Overclocking
June 18, 2010 3:43:59 PM

This is probably a dumb question, but, I am getting the CrossHair 4 w/crucial tracers(red) and the 212+.
I am positive I enuff room to install the cooler so it faces up and down(Which will work wonders in a HAF-X)
However in the event it is to close I figured I could use the black dimms instead.

So, My question is, does it matter which dimms I use for the tracers 1600???

The reason I ask is because on GigaBytes board, they say to reach maximum Clocks 1866, you must use dimm slot 3 & 4.
I couldn't find any information or anything like this for the Crosshair, so I thought I would double check!

I figured since these memory modules aren't even 2000, it wouldn't matter if this was true, but I figured I would ask
anyways cause I rather ask a stupid question then not know for sure, esp. when it comes to my 1500$ RIg!!!

Best solution

June 18, 2010 10:21:18 PM

I would imagine you can get the best clocks from non dual channel dims with separate sticks which is why they would say for max OC put them in the 3 and 4 dimms because those wouldn't be channeled together. I am not 100% positive of that and it seems like it wouldn't matter much.

Although it is odd that it says specifically says 3 and 4. The best way to find out would be to give gigabyte tech support a call.
June 18, 2010 10:35:06 PM

I don't care about the gigabyte, i just didn't know if that rule applied to other mobos.
Like in general does it even matter if you use fartherest to the right instead of the others??,
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2010 12:20:44 AM

No, what matters is the channels
m
l
June 19, 2010 12:42:58 AM

Well I probably won't have a problem installing the cooler, but if I do I will just move my memory to the other channels.
I don't the booklet with me but on the board it goes red,black,red,black. So I assume the reds are the first dual channel
and the blacks are the second dual channel. I might be mistaken but I will have the booklet when I go to do it.

Just looking at the board I can see it might not be able to, but if I didn't have to use that first dimm, I would easily have myself a good 2cm-4cm.

If you look at the Hyper 212+, the bottom of the actual cooler is taller so that is not where it would touch. The pipes on the 212+ are what can possilby be over so much it would hit, but the pipes are about 2cm's from the edge so the actual cooler might hanger over just a tad bit, but it would work. So plan B is to move the memory over. and the if all else fails plan C
then I would just install the 212+ facing front to back. But I don't think I will have to.
m
l
!