Woohoo! Got my new computer working (mostly...)

I unplugged the new hard drive and my old one started working.

Still some weird stuff, but most importantly, the Sims 2 works!

The difference isn't as huge as I hoped. Graphically it's better, I can now
run it at the highest graphics without slowdown instead of low. (My god!
Sims have fingers!)

The loading time is actually the same, at least initially. But loading to go
to a community lot is much quicker, as is going home, or loading another
family. Going from 384 to 512 megs really helped, I guess.

I don't know what you've got in there, but there can be some really weird
effects trying to run raid and IDE HD's in the same machine.

MM

Jeremy Reaban wrote:

> The difference isn't as huge as I hoped. Graphically it's
> better, I can now run it at the highest graphics without
> slowdown instead of low. (My god! Sims have fingers!)

One wonders what stuff one needs for them to have toes!

T.

Taemon wrote:
> Jeremy Reaban wrote:
>
>> The difference isn't as huge as I hoped. Graphically it's
>> better, I can now run it at the highest graphics without
>> slowdown instead of low. (My god! Sims have fingers!)
>
> One wonders what stuff one needs for them to have toes!
>
> T.

They do have toes. Check out the feet that stick out of the hot tub or the
bed during woohoo and you'll even see them curl. LOL

Jeanie

My most heartfelt congratulations, as one who has just suffered with the
same sort of thing.
Isn't it a lovely feeling when everything works at last?

Well, apart from my old TV card, in my case. 8)

Granny.

Jeremy Reaban wrote:
> Because I don't own Win XP and can't afford to buy it?

You bought a PC with a SATA HDD, Athlon64, 512MB DDR, etc. Basicly an
expensive PC which would have cost quite a bit. But you can't afford an
extra £60/$110/?90 just for XP Home? And anyway if you can get XP for free
with Broadband, why don't you, it costs the same as dialup now.

Well, he obviously spent every penny he had or he wouldn't have had to buy
an Athlon would he?

MM

Madame Mim wrote:
> Well, he obviously spent every penny he had or he wouldn't have had
> to buy an Athlon would he?

He didn't buy an Athlon, he bought an Athlon 64, there is a huge difference.
One of the biggest differences is the cost, my brother's Athlon 64 2.5GHz
cost a few hundred pounds, my Athlon XP 1.7Ghz cost £50-£80 IIRC, and
Athlons are be even cheaper. Athlon 64 is comparable to P4 HT Extreme, or
Xeon.

Actually Athlon 64 CPUs aren't that cheap. If it were me I would be buying
it for it's gaming performance, not because of price anyway. But that's
another topic.

Richard

"Richard Forester" <richard_forester(nospam)@msn.com> wrote in message
> Actually Athlon 64 CPUs aren't that cheap. If it were me I would be
buying
> it for it's gaming performance, not because of price anyway. But that's
> another topic.

Well, it wasn't that expensive. $750, total, for the computer
(CPU/MoBo/Case), hard drive, a DVD-R drive and a cheapie FX5200 video card.
But it did take a while to save up for it (as I don't make much money). Win
XP is what, another $150-200? That's another couple months of saving for
me...

BTW, I don't think I mentioned it but congratulations on your new computer!
Mine is starting to get a little "long in the tooth" but it is still good
enough to play games and stuff. I'm envious of anyone fortunate enough to
get an Athlon 64 based machine. :)

Yes, XP is indeed a bit pricey retail. I guess I never realized that since
I've never had to pay that price.

Good luck to you getting everything running.

Richard