Sign in with
Your question

Help choosing the right AMD CPU for me

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 2, 2009 8:25:37 PM

could you guys tell me whats enough. Ive been racking my head over, what cpu would go with me. I'm gettin antsy with making my new computer. recently newegg had a pretty sweet combo deal, the amd 9850 black oem with the motherboard i want, the biostar 790gx. But its not at the same price anymore, since they raised the amd 9850 oem price up 30 dollars.

soo i'm not much of a gamer, the most I would need my cpu to handle, is me having a blu ray video up, while being able to write my paper, while having my browser up with like 10 tabs, also maybe while unraring a huge file, and probably downloading something on the side.I'd wanna do all this without any lag, for every program to quickly open, just seemless. I'm into multitasking, but I wouldnt run any big programs like photoshop or any other developer software.

So do you think the kuma 7750 would do it? I would probably also overclock it...

I really want a quad-core, but I dont know if i need a quad-core... what do you guys think?

the motherboard I'm set on is the BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX, micro or not, still not sure.

More about : choosing amd cpu

April 2, 2009 10:31:17 PM

ello?
April 2, 2009 10:42:30 PM

Ello... I was typing, be patient :p 

That sounds like bog standard home usage to me, a good graphics card will take care of the blu-ray stuff and a decent dual core will take care of everything else. Just remember to get 4gb RAM.

What I'm wondering is why you're set on AMD, if you want something cheaper than a Phenom II 720, then Intel's Core 2 Duo line is the best value for standard use.

There's always going to be a delay in loading programs and such, but if you've got enough RAM then you'll have no delay in switching between them.
Related resources
April 2, 2009 10:48:55 PM

Phenom II X3 720.

Don't go for the original Phenoms, they suck.
April 2, 2009 11:54:55 PM

hp19 said:
could you guys tell me whats enough. Ive been racking my head over, what cpu would go with me. I'm gettin antsy with making my new computer. recently newegg had a pretty sweet combo deal, the amd 9850 black oem with the motherboard i want, the biostar 790gx. But its not at the same price anymore, since they raised the amd 9850 oem price up 30 dollars.

soo i'm not much of a gamer, the most I would need my cpu to handle, is me having a blu ray video up, while being able to write my paper, while having my browser up with like 10 tabs, also maybe while unraring a huge file, and probably downloading something on the side.I'd wanna do all this without any lag, for every program to quickly open, just seemless. I'm into multitasking, but I wouldnt run any big programs like photoshop or any other developer software.

So do you think the kuma 7750 would do it? I would probably also overclock it...

I really want a quad-core, but I dont know if i need a quad-core... what do you guys think?

the motherboard I'm set on is the BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX, micro or not, still not sure.

lol had a similar dilemma, the kuma would be able to handle the multi tasking as long as you get at least 4 gb of ram,and for the blu ray all you need a decent graphics card like the 4670 or the 4830, personally i would avoid the orginal phenom though, if you don't go for the kuma then your next obvious choice would the phenom ll tri core, it over clocks well,has a large l3 cache for multi tasking and the extra core can come in handy for certain applications, the cheapest i found was $125 which isnt bad considering the fact that it is back wards compatible. but if not the kuma is a good choise too,just make sure you buy a different HSF because the stock cpu heat sink sucks and it can run hot if you choose to over clock it.
April 3, 2009 12:18:31 AM

i think the motherboards intergrated graphics card will be able to handle high def video... or I may be wrong... I dont know. amd radeon hd 3300 not enough?
April 3, 2009 12:47:23 AM

No I'd even get a crap video card over integrated graphics...
April 3, 2009 1:08:33 AM

The 3300 will get you by for like watching a movie on one monitor and replying to a forum on the other. It's not all that but it works. I'm keeping an eye out for a deal on a 4670/4830 that I can get past the wife.
April 3, 2009 2:03:49 AM

lol great... now i have to start all over in the parts i need to put together... thanks for the input guys!
!