Help choosing the right AMD CPU for me

could you guys tell me whats enough. Ive been racking my head over, what cpu would go with me. I'm gettin antsy with making my new computer. recently newegg had a pretty sweet combo deal, the amd 9850 black oem with the motherboard i want, the biostar 790gx. But its not at the same price anymore, since they raised the amd 9850 oem price up 30 dollars.

soo i'm not much of a gamer, the most I would need my cpu to handle, is me having a blu ray video up, while being able to write my paper, while having my browser up with like 10 tabs, also maybe while unraring a huge file, and probably downloading something on the side.I'd wanna do all this without any lag, for every program to quickly open, just seemless. I'm into multitasking, but I wouldnt run any big programs like photoshop or any other developer software.

So do you think the kuma 7750 would do it? I would probably also overclock it...

I really want a quad-core, but I dont know if i need a quad-core... what do you guys think?

the motherboard I'm set on is the BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX, micro or not, still not sure.
8 answers Last reply
More about help choosing
  1. Ello... I was typing, be patient :P

That sounds like bog standard home usage to me, a good graphics card will take care of the blu-ray stuff and a decent dual core will take care of everything else. Just remember to get 4gb RAM.

What I'm wondering is why you're set on AMD, if you want something cheaper than a Phenom II 720, then Intel's Core 2 Duo line is the best value for standard use.

There's always going to be a delay in loading programs and such, but if you've got enough RAM then you'll have no delay in switching between them.
  2. Phenom II X3 720.

Don't go for the original Phenoms, they suck.
  3. hp19 said:
    could you guys tell me whats enough. Ive been racking my head over, what cpu would go with me. I'm gettin antsy with making my new computer. recently newegg had a pretty sweet combo deal, the amd 9850 black oem with the motherboard i want, the biostar 790gx. But its not at the same price anymore, since they raised the amd 9850 oem price up 30 dollars.

soo i'm not much of a gamer, the most I would need my cpu to handle, is me having a blu ray video up, while being able to write my paper, while having my browser up with like 10 tabs, also maybe while unraring a huge file, and probably downloading something on the side.I'd wanna do all this without any lag, for every program to quickly open, just seemless. I'm into multitasking, but I wouldnt run any big programs like photoshop or any other developer software.

So do you think the kuma 7750 would do it? I would probably also overclock it...

I really want a quad-core, but I dont know if i need a quad-core... what do you guys think?

the motherboard I'm set on is the BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX, micro or not, still not sure.

lol had a similar dilemma, the kuma would be able to handle the multi tasking as long as you get at least 4 gb of ram,and for the blu ray all you need a decent graphics card like the 4670 or the 4830, personally i would avoid the orginal phenom though, if you don't go for the kuma then your next obvious choice would the phenom ll tri core, it over clocks well,has a large l3 cache for multi tasking and the extra core can come in handy for certain applications, the cheapest i found was $125 which isnt bad considering the fact that it is back wards compatible. but if not the kuma is a good choise too,just make sure you buy a different HSF because the stock cpu heat sink sucks and it can run hot if you choose to over clock it.
  4. i think the motherboards intergrated graphics card will be able to handle high def video... or I may be wrong... I dont know. amd radeon hd 3300 not enough?
  5. No I'd even get a crap video card over integrated graphics...
  6. The 3300 will get you by for like watching a movie on one monitor and replying to a forum on the other. It's not all that but it works. I'm keeping an eye out for a deal on a 4670/4830 that I can get past the wife.
  7. lol great... now i have to start all over in the parts i need to put together... thanks for the input guys!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD