Safe overclock/temps for Phenom II 955?

Benbt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I am completely new to overclocking and recently purchased and installed a Scythe Mugen 2 cooler with AS5 on my PII 955 (C2 stepping). After going through a process similar to the one described in this guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-edition-overclock-guide, I was able to reach 3.8 GHz stable by increasing the multiplier to 19x and increasing the core voltage slightly (CPU-Z reads 1.440 V). I changed no other settings besides the multiplier and core voltage. Prime95 blend ran with no errors for 50 mins. with a max CPU temp of 57C (ambient ~80F).

Since this is my first ever overclock I wanted to make sure that these settings and load temperatures are acceptable. Thanks in advance for your input.

sailer

Splendid
It sounds like you have a good setup. I have a 955 BE and haven't been able to get it that high (3.8ghz) and stable yet. I can get it there, but running it under load 24/7 will always get a crash. Your CPU temp is a bit higher than mine, but appears reasonable. Depending on your ram, you might be able to raise the FSB a few points for better speed. But overall, your setup/overclock looks good.

Benbt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for the reply Sailer. :) I might try raising the FSB later, but I'm pretty happy with 3.8Ghz. I'm already noticing a slight FPS increase in WoW and a few other games.