Sign in with
Your question

DVD not recognised

Last response: in Storage
July 4, 2010 10:55:22 PM

Hi.
I have a Toshiba U300-13U notebook.
It came with Windows Vista 32 bit but i installed Windows 7 32 bit after about 6 months.
Before i installed it my dvd drive would stop being recognised but this would fix if i restarted it.
After i installed it my dvd drive stop being recognised completely.
I have used the troubleshooter and the online troubleshooter. They both say it is not connected.
When i go into BIOS it shows the drive. At the device manager it has 2 devices with warnings which say "Base System Device". They don't have roll-back drivers or any driver options at all.
The Toshiba drivers from their site don't recognise it either.
I have run out of options.
Help please?

More about : dvd recognised

a b G Storage
July 5, 2010 12:48:26 AM

One thing that you can easily try, on notebooks the CD drive connection can become unreliable, try removing the one screw holding in the CD drive remove the drive and then refit it.
Related resources
July 5, 2010 9:09:04 PM

aford10 said:
Run this Fixit scan.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

If that doesn't fix it, right click those 2 items in the device manager, and uninstall them. Then restart.

I tried the Fixit scan but not the second option.
I'll try that if all else fails pjmelect.
a b G Storage
July 6, 2010 2:33:54 AM

If you uninstall the drive, it should search for the new hardware on restart, and reinstall itself. If it doesn't, you can right click the computer logo in the device manager, and force it to search for new hardware.
July 6, 2010 7:20:21 PM

Got it working. The hole for the screws was unaligned. I had to tape it back. Thanks everyone! [:thegreatgrapeape] [:lectrocrew:6]
!