Sign in with
Your question

Boot Block and Infinite Restarts

Last response: in CPUs
April 3, 2009 1:36:13 AM

About a couple of weeks ago, I started to get blue screens. They would usually happen soon after startup and the system would be stable after the first blue screen. I would on occasion get another blue screen after the initial blue screen. A few days ago, my computer blue screened soon after start up and on restart my computer only displayed, "Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0 Scanning BIOS Image in Hard Drive..." After 2-3 seconds, my computer restarts and this process continues ad infinitum. My computer specs are:

EP45-UD3r
Silverstone Strider 600w
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 LGA 775 2.40 ghz
G.Skill DDR2-800 2x2gb

I'm a relative neophyte when it comes to computer internals, so please be kind.

Thank you!
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2009 1:50:12 AM

It looks like your BIOS is damaged. You will need to re-flash BIOS.

Use different PC download the BIOS file (extract it, put ALL the extracted files on the USB) in to a flash drive formated in FAT32.
Go to the PC that has the UD3R then unplug HDD/DVD RW. Plug in USB drive and boot. That should work.
April 3, 2009 1:59:48 AM

memory

run one stick in each slot and run mem test set the voltagte higher and manuallly set latenices
Related resources
April 3, 2009 5:16:03 AM

Shadow: I tried what you suggested, but when I boot my computer it won't even read the flash drive (i.e., the LED doesn't light up). One of the times the computer reset itself, it did stay on, but it didn't do anything and the power light kept blinking.

Dragonspraye: I'm not sure how to run mem test? My computer won't even stay on long enough for it to scan anything for BIOS.

Could my computer's refusal to stay on longer than a few seconds have to do with the power supply? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm learning as I go.
April 3, 2009 2:38:46 PM

can you get into the bios?

try pulling out one memory stick and booting, then try the other

if you can't get into the bios at all, might have to get another board
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2009 5:28:16 PM

@OP: Connect DVD RW with the driver CD that came with the motherboard. Also try clearing CMOS (remove battery). Try clearing CMOS first.
April 3, 2009 6:43:21 PM

Windows problem.... reinstall and see what happens.
April 3, 2009 6:54:54 PM

mamw93 said:
Windows problem.... reinstall and see what happens.

Wow not even close. If it is failing before windows ever starts loading then how in the world could it be a windows problem? Please have some knowledge of what you are talking about if you decide to post

Edit: on a happier note 700 posts :D 
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2009 7:26:50 PM

^Correct. "Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0 Scanning BIOS Image in Hard Drive..." IS a BIOS (or motherboard) issue.
April 4, 2009 3:48:56 AM

Thank you for your input everyone. I've tried removing one ram stick and testing both one at a time, but it is still restarting. I've also tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery for a few minutes. When that didn't work, I tried putting a jumper on the clear cmos pins, but that didn't work either. I also tried putting the disc that came with the MB in the DVD drive, but that didn't work either.

At this point, I can't even sniff the BIOS.
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2009 2:07:43 PM

^Looks like you have to get a new board :( 
!