CPU Cooler

Diverse

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
I've been looking around for a CPU cooler for my i7 930. I was about to buy the CM Hyper 212 Plus, but after reading some reviews, it looks as if the cooler wasn't made for heavy OC'ing (I'm trying to get to 4.2 ghz). Whats the best cooler for the price/value out there? I was looking at FrostyTech and I was thinking about getting the Thermaltake Frio, which is number 3 on their top 5 list. I was also interested in their #1, the Spire Thermax Eclipse II, but I haven't found any sites that sell it. I was also looking at the Megahalems Rev. B, but I don't want to spend more than $65-70.

Any help will be appreciated, and thanks.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
i7 930 running 4.2 Ghz 24/7 = custom water cooling if you want decent temps.

If you have to go air = NH-D14 or Megahalems (w/dual fans) but your temps will still be borderline at that frequency.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
IF you get a very good chip that allows you to OC it with minimal voltages your temps will still be borderline on air at 4.2 Ghz, or you can just go for it and hope the chip lasts as long as you want it to.

Water cooling would require a complete custom cooling setup, $250-$300

The i7's are the hottest running chips going and the voltages and temps greatly increase the higher you OC it.

sailer

Splendid
I have three i7 computers running i7 920s and have tried various coolers. The best so far has been a Noctua D14, which dropped the temp nearly 20c compared to a TRUE with two fans. The Noctua is more expensive than your designated price of $65-$70, but since it comes with fans, it might end up cheaper overall.

With the D14 in place, I have the i7 920s running about 4ghz to 4.1ghz with Coretemp showing 71c-75c while Folding on all eight cores. Your 930 should be able to get to the 4.1ghz area without too much trouble with a D14.

I agree with the other members comments if your going to choose air-cooling they have suggested the best available air coolers.
And you will have to spend over $250 to get into good liquid cooling.
The $80-100 liquid cooling kits are out-performed by the suggested air coolers.