Swapped mobo's, big decrease in performance. Why?

zootroid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I was originally using a GIGABYTE S-SERIES GA-M57 SLI-S4 motherboard. For 3 months my computer worked quite well, blue screened a couple of times, other than that no problems. One day my CPU fan stopped working, found out that the motherboard was burnt under where the CPU sits.

Now I need a new motherboard so I went back into the store since they wouldnt just replace my old one for free. They said it was from being OC'd.

So I was forced to buy a new one I decided to go wit a different mobo, but everything about it seemed that it should be the same as my first one.

ASUS M2N-SLI

The only game I have to compare the extent of performance drop is world of warcraft. I use to run it at 45-50 FPS on the highest settings at 1280x1024. Now I'm lucky to stay 25-30FPS on just medium settings.

The only thing on my entire build to change is the motherboard. It sucks I spent another $100 only to make my computer run way worse :(

My current build is ASUS M2N-SLI
2x 1 GB OCZ
8600 GT OC
AMD 6000+

I need my brothers 9800 in here just to achieve the same performance I had before which sucks.

Any help as to why there is such a big change would be greatful:)

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
First off never tell the salesperson you OC'd anything.

Secound the MB is still under factory warrenty and you could have sent it in for RMA work (then you have a spare MB).

Third even at stock 3Ghz it should make no matter on your FPS.

Did you -wipe- the old MB drivers from the HD and install the ones for the new MB?

Have you set the same RAM times in bios?

Did you update to the newest video drivers?

zootroid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I didn't over clock it, I never said I did. The salesperson said the damage on the motherboard looked like it was caused from OCing so they weren't going to give me a new one. Pretty dumb, but whatever.

Yes I wiped my HD and reinstalled XP, new drivers for everything.

I don't know what the RAM times were before and I have never done such things anyways.

Yes, I have the newest video drivers.

Your Gigabyte board is an nForce 570 board. The new Asus is an nForce 560 board. Can't imagine there's a huge difference performance wise between those two chipsets. Usually just feature sets.

The Gigabyte was 2x PCI-E 16x slots.

I can't find info on the Asus board as to whether it's 16x or 8x.

EDIT: NewEgg lists the Asus board of having 16x PCI-E (with 8x support during SLI)