Should I use Intel's X48 or X58 chipset, I'm lost!

I was going w/ the 48 until intels icore 7 cpu came out. Does anyone know if its any better then the core quad, or extreme. I want my m-board to go up to 1600 bus speed so if, but for now a 1600 bus speed cpu is way out of the budget. Is high bus speed really such a big deal? I been using this P4 since 01-03, and I want to get it right, but $2-300 is my cpu budget and a quad core, or icore7 will fit in. Lost and need direction.
7 answers Last reply
More about should intel chipset lost
  1. What is your total budget?

Both i7 920 and Q9550 are around the same price, but the i7 setup will cost about $200 - $300 more for a total build.
  2. Give us more info like whats you total budget, your preferences and so on...

take a look at this...
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice
  3. The bus speed does make a difference. But as mentioned above, the i7 system can cost a lot more when it comes to the mobo and memory.
  4. ^ also true.
  5. flyin15sec said:
    What is your total budget?

Both i7 920 and Q9550 are around the same price, but the i7 setup will cost about $200 - $300 more for a total build.

That's not correct. An X48 board will cost around 249~279, except on some EOL or open box ones. The X58 costs around the same price. On the other hand, DDR3 kit's price is coming down to be within $150. Therefore the greatest price disparity between them is most likely less than $100.

With that said, unless you have some LGA775 parts you want to keep, X58 is mostly a much more logical choice.
  6. kenjkirkland said:
    .... Lost and need direction.

So are we.

You will get a lot more mileage out of a P45 like the Asus P5Q-E with a Q9400 - or even a Phenom II with a 790gx motherboard.

What are your needs for this new-found quad-power ?
  7. x48 is Core 2. x58 is i7.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Bus Speed