Abit ip-95 only see 3gigs of 4gigs?

unstock240

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Well hello everyone I'm new here. I have searched for quite awhile with no solution yet. I have an abit ip-95 mobo which supports up to 4gigs ddr2 ram. I have xp x64 so it should work. There was a recent bios update so now it posts 4096mb at startup, so it should be working fine. I have tried changing the maxmem settings and things like that but they revert to 3072mb. I searched my bios settings for anything about memory remap but nothing that I can find. Maybe it's under a different name? but tried everything.

I have tried disabling everything video, sound and things like that didn't help either. The memory is 2x2048 pny which works fine. Everything I have fully supports the x64 that I can tell. I also remember something about if hibernate is unavailable it will read over 4gigs? I still have the checkbox to do the hibernation, but not on. Any help or advise would be well appreciated.

do you have onboard video? Some video cards I have seen also will borrow from system memory, this would result in the system seeing only 3 gigs if 1 gig was being borrowed by the graphics system.
I have never heard about the hibernation thing, I hibernate my pc all the time and I am running X64. I have all 4 gigs available.

unstock240

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I have a 16x pci with 512mb memory, so it shouldn't be that. I spent way too long figuring this thing out. Another thing is that I get a bsod my nvidia 8400gs doesn't like something. I have a copy of vista that I am going to try and see if it works with my ram. I will post back later.

Well, that may be just as well because although Microsoft supports x64, a lot of manufacturers don't and never will at this point. As much as I like it, XP64 will prolly not be on my pc for very long.
You could do a dual boot with WIN7 RC and see how that works.

HalfJoey

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
This is the exact same problem im having now with the Abit IP-95 and Windows 7 64-bit. The Abit website says it should support 4gb of DDR2. The worse part is that when i put both sticks in it seems to slow down my pc when running system intensive operations. more so than when i just have one stick of 2gb in.

Have you found a solution by any change?

Pricklyhedgehog

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I recently found this out. It's pretty sucky, I just bought win 7 64 bit, but no matter what I've tried the system recognizes 4 gigs but then the OS won't boot. I'll be steering clear of Abit mobo's in the future. It's rubbish that their own manual indicates up to 4 mb and after hours of monkeying with the cmos and multiple reboots, clearing the cmos, etc, etc, you're left with a maximum of 2 gigs or a wonky bloody 3 gigs operating like a chloroformed snail. Congratulations Abit on the false advertising and bitter expriences, not to mention the money wasted.