Sign in with
Your question

Building New Rig (Advice sought!)

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2009 10:36:12 PM

Hello fellow enthusiasts! Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.

I'm new here and all, and from Singapore as well. So we do not have newegg and all the wonderful rebates here.

I have a budget of SGD1300, which is about USD900, so that should act as a guideline. Also I already have a GFX, which is the ASUS Dark Knight 1GB EAH4870. So yeah. here's what I'm considering and further recommendations will be welcome.

Also I'm looking into overclocking, although I'm new to it. Heard it can help me save some dough here and there so you folks should be hearing from me at the overclocking forums as well :D 

Alright here goes.

CPU: E8400 or Q6600

I'm not actually sure whether or not to wait for the PhenomII or new Intel processors to churn out, thus I'll need some help here on the release dates and whether I should swoop in on the buy now, or wait for the new stuff to come out.

Motherboard: DFI Lanparty P45 T2RS+ or ASUS P5Q Deluxe

Here's what I was looking at as well. read many reviews about how this two are probably the best in the market for overclocking and stability for my price. Any other motherboards will be welcome as well!

Memory: TeamDark Elite 2x2gb PC2-8500 CL5 or Kingston HyperX PC2-8500

Also need some advice here. Not very good at memory stuff and not much reviews out there.

Hard Disk: Samsung F1Tb or WD Black Caviar 750GB

PSU: Corsair HX620 or Andyson F650 or Aerocool Horsepower 600W

Chassis: Centurion 690 or NZXT Lexa Blackline or HAF932

Cheers for all your help in the recommendation and replies I hope to hear!

Si Yuan
January 6, 2009 10:53:04 AM

Some response will be appreciated! ;) 
January 6, 2009 11:40:15 AM

look like good parts, some of them are not common in the States. The list should all work together
Related resources
January 6, 2009 12:43:28 PM

if you are gaming then get a E8400 if you are using this pc for multitasking and etc then get the q6600

get the asus p5q ,

ger kingston ram and if corsair or g-skill is available then get it

the hardisk is good but i recommend a western digital if available

of course the corsair psu it is solid as a rock

for the case get the NZXT Lexa Blackline or the haf932 but i recommend the haf932 as it has the best cooling i have seen

January 6, 2009 9:16:49 PM

But the HAF is ugly as day :pt1cable:  What the lexa has over it would be aesthetic value.

Corsair it is huh?

Im just curious. Would it b worthwhile to wait for the Phenom II launch and the subsequent new i7s?
January 6, 2009 9:21:05 PM

Go with the E8400. It will run faster than the Q6600 in almost all applications. It will run a lot cooler as well. The E8400 beat out the Q6600 in a lot of apps that one may think the Q6600 would/should win in.
January 7, 2009 12:01:58 PM

Cheers for the response mate.

But do you think that E8400 will be pretty future proofed? Want to run GTA4 here. Heard that Dual core is about as good as Single Core for that game.
!