Sign in with
Your question

Homebuilt Computer running too hot. Need help cooling.

Last response: in Overclocking
June 19, 2010 11:35:10 AM

Hi I built my computer about 3 years ago. It's an E6600 Intel Dual Core, with 8800GTS 640mb video card. I'm also using a Centurion 5 (Coolermaster) case. I've sort of always had trouble with the temperature of the cpu and have had to reseat the heatsink a few times now. I've used Arctic Silver it hasn't seemed to make a difference.

Recently I've been trying to learn more since I'm planning on building a new computer within 6 months. Anyways I realized due to someone's review of my case that I had put the hard drive in front of the intake fan on the front of my case. I removed that and used a dust remover bottle to remove most of the dust out of the case and off the fans of the CPU, GPU, and case. However, now the temps are fluctuating very highly about a day later. They were about the same when I put it back together. Hard drive was running a little hotter because it didn't have a fan directly on it.

The temps on the cpu use to be in the mid to upper 40s Celsius on idle and about 60ish on full load. Now it's mid 50s on idle and about 70ish on full load.

Instead of just reapplying Arctic silver and reseating the heatsink, I was thinking of buying a brand new heat sink I could potentially use here for a few months and then use when I purchase a new computer with an I7.

I was also looking at putting another fan on my computer. On the side panel that comes off there is this sort of plastic cup screwed into the panel right over where the heat sink is. I'm guessing that it's suppose to help the heat filter out through it from the Heatsink but I don't think it works. I'm just not sure because it's kind of small if a fan could fit there or that would be a good place to put a fan. There are vent holes on the side panel where this cup is too.

Here is a pic of where the front fan is
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/518/28955742.jpg

Here is a pic where you can kind of see the side panel.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3523/35984044.jpg

I don't know if Intel's Heatsinks have gotten better or not. I haven't heard they have. So I'm guessing it would be best to get a new heatsink. Apply it to the E6600 then use it on the I7 I plan on getting. Not sure if I should get a fan or not.

The front fan is intake the back fan is exhaust. I can't mess with the setting of my fans in my BIOS. But apparently the fans run faster and louder at higher voltages but I don't know how to control that.

The only problem is if I get a new Heat sink there is still a problem of the GPU running at 69 Celsius idle when it use to be 63 idle. Also the Hard drive now that I set it at the bottom below the fan is running in the mid 40's now. It was running in the upper 30s after moving it but just went up along with the GPU and CPU. As I'm typing this my CPUr is going from upper 50s to upper 60s (even hit 70) just running antivirus that takes up like 10 to 40 percent of the cpu. This is ridiculous. I've also been checking for viruses and have none except this atdmt cookie that keeps popping up.

Maybe using a dust remover bottle to blow the dust out was a bad idea? Is there some kind of vaccuum or some other way that doesn't involve the dust getting everywhere?

If you guys have any ideas on what I should do or any recommendations I'd appreciate it a lot.
June 19, 2010 11:50:29 PM

Shirosaki said:

On the side panel that comes off there is this sort of plastic cup screwed into the panel right over where the heat sink is. I'm guessing that it's suppose to help the heat filter out through it from the Heatsink but I don't think it works. I'm just not sure because it's kind of small if a fan could fit there or that would be a good place to put a fan. There are vent holes on the side panel where this cup is too.

like this? Its a cpu wind tunnel, your cpu fan should be able to take air in very easy.
Shirosaki said:

I don't know if Intel's Heatsinks have gotten better or not. I haven't heard they have. So I'm guessing it would be best to get a new heatsink. Apply it to the E6600 then use it on the I7 I plan on getting. Not sure if I should get a fan or not.

If you got space(height) - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, its cheap and effective and it goes well with front-intake / back-exhaust.

Your case have front fan only 80x80 and that might be the problem for the cool air to really get in, especially with all that *** in the way.

Anyway new heatsink will definitely lower your CPU temperature in comparison with old box one...

*You can even buy noctua fan and easily replace original to have really really silent version.
Shirosaki said:

I can't mess with the setting of my fans in my BIOS. But apparently the fans run faster and louder at higher voltages but I don't know how to control that.

google: speedfan, then google for some tutorials or some youtube videos to learn how to control it. Its a godsend to control noise.
Shirosaki said:

The only problem is if I get a new Heat sink there is still a problem of the GPU running at 69 Celsius idle when it use to be 63 idle. Also the Hard drive now that I set it at the bottom below the fan is running in the mid 40's now. It was running in the upper 30s after moving it but just went up along with the GPU and CPU. As I'm typing this my CPUr is going from upper 50s to upper 60s (even hit 70) just running antivirus that takes up like 10 to 40 percent of the cpu. This is ridiculous. I've also been checking for viruses and have none except this atdmt cookie that keeps popping up.

Maybe using a dust remover bottle to blow the dust out was a bad idea? Is there some kind of vaccuum or some other way that doesn't involve the dust getting everywhere?

If you guys have any ideas on what I should do or any recommendations I'd appreciate it a lot.

Take everything our, give it all good clean out, what do you think? that there is some magic that will take dust away?

first think you should try is take your side off, and see how temperatures behave then, that should give you idea if air flow in the case is bad or some other *** with heatsinks...
Also depends where in your room is case, under the table with the side with wind tunnel to the wall is really really bad idea...
m
l
June 20, 2010 3:51:32 AM

Quote:
like this? Its a cpu wind tunnel, your cpu fan should be able to take air in very easy.

Yeah like that. I had no idea it pulled out like that though. It was pretty far from the CPU though and only really blocking the exhaust fan. I removed it earlier today to see if it would help since it was blocking the exhaust fan. I guess I'll try extending it so it's closer to the fan on the cpu to see if it makes a difference. I'm going to have to disconnect the cup if I want to fit in the Hyper 212 Plus. My case is 8 inches wide and it only appears that it's 6 inches tall so that gives me 2 inches of wiggle room inside the case.

Quote:
Your case have front fan only 80x80 and that might be the problem for the cool air to really get in, especially with all that *** in the way.

Yeah I'd like to get a 120x120 in there but I don't see extra screw holes to fit in a 120 fan. the vent holes also only seem to fit a 80mm fan. I suppose I could try to fit in a fan where the floppy drives go. I'd have to remove the small metal plates blocking where you'd fit it in so it would be wide open instead of vent holes. Not sure if that would be best.

Quote:
google: speedfan, then google for some tutorials or some youtube videos to learn how to control it. Its a godsend to control noise.

I've been using speed fan to track my temps. I updated it though to 4.40. I followed the directions in several videos but I don't seem to have the ability to change my fan speed. Here's a pic of me in advanced features. I don't have any PWM options in anything under advance.
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5343/46928222.jpg
I'll try searching for a couple more. My mobo might not have the options or the directions I'm getting are wrong.

Quote:
Take everything our, give it all good clean out, what do you think? that there is some magic that will take dust away?

No but I didn't think it would make it worse after unblocking the intake fan and blowing the dust out of it.

Quote:
first think you should try is take your side off, and see how temperatures behave then, that should give you idea if air flow in the case is bad or some other *** with heatsinks...
Also depends where in your room is case, under the table with the side with wind tunnel to the wall is really really bad idea..
I'm guessing if it is cooler with the panel off then I need more airflow right?

Earlier today I went back into the case and moved the wires around some to try and help with air flow and so nothing was blocking the front fan anymore. It seemed to help. The Hard drive isn't going much above 40. It's still fluctuating between 30 and 40. Not sure if that's normal. The front fan use to blow directly on it and it would sit around like 29. The GPU temp dropped a bit too. It's back at 63-66 on idle. So it's just the CPU now. I'm definitely looking at getting the Hyper 212 Plus though. It looks like it would fit in this case and would also work for an I7 once I get one. I'm thinking maybe I need a Full Tower case instead of this mid tower case once I build my new computer. I hear you can over clock a I7 920 or 930 to 4.0ghz easily on air with the right set up. Although I might have to look at getting an AMD since they came out with those 6 core processors. So much research to do.

Edit: Just checked the temps after posting this and the cores are down to 49 degrees. I don't know what's going on.
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2010 11:25:31 AM

Shirosaki said:

Here's a pic of me in advanced features. I don't have any PWM options in anything under advance.
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5343/46928222.jpg
I'll try searching for a couple more. My mobo might not have the options or the directions I'm getting are wrong.

Your RPM seems low, there must be something controlling those fans, otherwise they would be at ~3000 rpm not ~900

Check BIOS if there is something enabled. Or some other Cool & Quiet type of software.
m
l
June 20, 2010 12:04:29 PM

well when I'm at max cpu they only hit about 1500 to 2k rpm.

I've gone into BIOS before and there are only 3 options under Fan Control.
Cpu Processor Dampening, CPU processor response, which I have set to aggressive and high.
The 3rd is just fan detection which I have on always.
I even updated my bios to the latest version because it sounded like they had more option for fan controls but it didn't seem to add anything.

My mobo is an Intel DP965LT if that helps.

I don't know what this means.
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/7277/92132161.jpg
Sounds like I should be able to control the fan speeds.

Now my CPU is running in the mid 40s again on idle after extending that cup and placing it back on the side panel.
m
l
June 20, 2010 6:00:48 PM

Fan detection: Disable
System Fan Control: disable
CPU processor response: aggressive
Cpu Processor Dampening: Normal

try if you get your RPM up, but in idle it should be low, but in idle there should not be 53°C
m
l
June 22, 2010 7:58:48 AM

I don't have a system fan control. I just have a fan detection and the 2 cpu processor options. I've tried disablnig fan detection and it didn't work.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
m
l
June 22, 2010 9:08:18 AM

You mentioned working with the heatsink paste, Arctic Silver I believe. Putting too much on can also cause higher temps. I am guessing that you followed the instructions, so that is probably not the issue.

Core2Duo E6x00 chips normally idle in the upper 20s/lower 30s, spiking up to about 60º under heavy load, but you have got an 8800GTS close and under the heatsink. That card emits a large amount of heat, and that heat will be affecting everything else nearby quite dramatically.

Remember that heat comes in two forms in a PC - warmed air and infrared radiation. In this case your 8800GTS is emitting large amounts of IF radiation, which is transferring heat into other components. This is why you feel heat from a lightbulb without having to actually touch it.

Please bear in mind that that is an educated guess on my part. I could well be wrong.

You will need a bigger CPU heatsink and/or a strong(ish) exhaust fan. Side panel fans could also help.

I once had a system overheat erratically (and quite badly) due to the power supply being underpowered by about 50W...

For noise control, a hardware-based fan speed controller (the type you actually bolt into the case, not this software or BIOS stuff) is about the best way to handle noise vs temp. Especially as the decent ones allow you to see the temps even when you have a fullscreen app going, like a game.

Hope this helps...
m
l
June 22, 2010 12:29:21 PM

I can't control the fan speeds and the rpm for my exhaust fan is about half of what it is at max. That's the whole problem. I can't control my fan speeds. If I buy another fan and hook it up, it's just going to be another fan running at low speeds in my case. Sure it will help but it will mostly be a waste if I can't control the fan speed. I honestly don't care about the noise, unless a hardware based fan speed controller will up my speeds to where I want them. It doesn't make that much noise under full load imo.

I just checked the fans max rpm. On speed fan idle fan speed intake fan is 1000 rpm, under load is 1200, max is 1800. Fan outlet is 670 on idle 770 on max cpu. with a 1200 rpm as max. This is according to Cooler Master's faq of my case. The CPU goes from 900 rpm idle to 1700 max. I'm also using a 600 watt PSU so I don't think it's a lack of power.
m
l
June 22, 2010 12:44:53 PM

Hardware-based fan speed controllers usually go in a 5.25" bay, like a DVD-ROM, attach directly to the power supply, and permit you to adjust the fan to (I think) around 95% of it's maximum.

More sophisticated models have little probes that can be attached to things like CPUs, or hard drives, to monitor and regulate the speed of the fan on those components, and they always include an override. These types tend to be a little bit more expensive though.

Zalman options
Cooler Master's current offering
Thermaltake and the rest probably also have plenty of options to choose from... and the Zalman MFC-3 looks pretty cool.
m
l
June 23, 2010 1:35:26 AM

try google this "intel slow fans" there is quite few results maybe some of them fits you...
m
l
June 23, 2010 12:00:55 PM

appreciate the advice on fan controllers, but spending 40 to 60 dollars on a fan controller I probably won't need for more than a few months seems like a waste. I found these cables I didn't know I had that allowed you to hook up the fans directly to the PSU. I only had 2 3 pin cables and used the 2 case fans to plug them into the PSU. The heat sink is still plugged into the mobo.

Seems to be running just a tad louder, but nothing annoying. I'm guessing they are running on 100 percent and there is no way to check the rpms? I'm just curious what RPM they are running at.

I just ran Mass Effect 2 and instead of the GPU hitting 80-81, it seems to hit only 75-76. CPU still hitting 60, but according to speed fan the RPM is only 1400 (actually down to 1200 as I type this) instead of 1700. So I'm guessing it's only working hard enough to keep the temps at 60.

The second mobo temp and MCH seem to be running cooler too. The GPU cooled down to 63 much quicker also. I wonder what would happen if I was able to plug my heatsink fan into the PSU directly. Too bad it's 4 pin. I already ordered the hyper 212 plus, so I'll have that to mount on the CPU here in a week, even though I probably don't need it. I can use it later, though.

Here's pics of the temps under load and not under load. The GPU cooled to 62 before I took a screenshot.
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1963/85857183.jpg
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3033/27691578.jpg

even better:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3950/16276944.jpg
m
l
June 23, 2010 2:35:57 PM

If they are receiving 12 volts directly, then they are running at full speed. There are ways to read the RPM - if you are using the molex-to-3pin adapters, the unused wire/plug contact can be extended to the appropriate pin on the motherboard header plug.

Be careful, though, as 12Vdc in the wrong place can make your day go downhill incredibly rapidly...
m
l
June 23, 2010 3:40:24 PM

Mugz said:
If they are receiving 12 volts directly, then they are running at full speed. There are ways to read the RPM - if you are using the molex-to-3pin adapters, the unused wire/plug contact can be extended to the appropriate pin on the motherboard header plug.

Be careful, though, as 12Vdc in the wrong place can make your day go downhill incredibly rapidly...

I don't think it is. It's this
http://www.pcsilent.de/ppic-MAXI--525molex3.jpg

Not sure what it's called but yeah it just seems to have 2 different plugs. Only 1 seems to plug into my PSU. I did use the same power cable that has several outlets from my PSU to plug into these 2 fans and it's also plugged into my Hard Drive. I don't think that matters though.

Actually after seeing that pic I checked the item and it appears to just be a 7 volt cable. Both my fans are 12 volts according to coolermaster.
m
l
June 24, 2010 8:15:10 AM

The fan connector has a red wire and a black wire. Follow the wires back to the molex connector.

Fan wire Red -> Molex Yellow & Fan wire Black -> Molex Black gives you 12V.
7V would be FwRed -> MYellow and FwBlack -> MRed.
5V is Red -> Red, Black -> Black.

Most of those I have seen, going by that picture, are 12V. So you should be safe using that connector.

Have a good one!
m
l
June 24, 2010 9:09:03 AM

yeah figured out they came with the case.

Thanks.
m
l
!