C-Media CMI8788 chipset Versus Asus AV200

CrazieEddie

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I'm trying to determine which of the 7.1 sound cards to buy, from the following lists...

HT OMEGA CLARO (159.99)
HT OMEGA CLARO Plus+ ($174,99)
ASUS Xonar D2 (&179.99)

From my previous post (click here), the Asus Xonar D2 was recommended. I was looking at Newegg and saw the HT Omegas, which appear to be comparable. The only difference between the both are the audio chipsets, where the HT Omegas use the C-media CMI8788 and the Asus use the Asus AV200. I'm wondering if there is a significant between the both.

I will installing the sound card on a Vista Media Center PC and outputting the audio to Harmon Kardon AVR120, which is a 5.1 system and supports Dolby Digital and DTS. The AVR120 both has Optical and Coaxial Digital Inputs.

Question 1: Are there any major differences between both audio chipsets (C-Media CMI8788 chipset and Asus AV200)? Pros/Cons?

Question 2: I'm assuming the SPDIF Out on the Asus Xonar D2 can connect to the Coaxial Digital Input on the Harmon Kardon AVR120?

System: Dell PowerEdge Sc420 (Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz with Hyperthreading)
RAM: 4Gb
Video: Nvidia Geforece 8400 GS

Thanks

A very little known fact that Asus has done a good job at covering up is that the AV200 chipset on the Xonar D2 is actually a rebranded CMI8788 Oxygen HD audio processor.

So as far as as chipsets go, whether you choose the Omega or the Xonar isn't really a question of which audio processor to buy as much as it is which card offers the drivers support, software, and features are best suited for your situation.

What makes the Xonar unique (and makes the fanboys drink the Kool-Aid) is that Asus re-engineered the driver and software package to take advantage of the latest version of EAX, which Creative owns and is exclusive to their cards. So, as a result, the Xonar gets all the recommendations.

If you plan on using ths sound card in a Home Theater PC (HTPC) then you are better off getting the Omega Claro Plus+ due to the higher quality DACs, pre-amps, and signal to noise ratio. Also, the Claro is designed specifically as a home theater and audiophile solution.

If you are using the card primarily for gaming, then the Xonar is the better choice given the EAX support and the fact that it is marketed as a direct competitor of the Creative X-Fi cards.

Either way, both cards are a good choice, it's just a matter of what they are being used for.

Good luck!

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
chunkymonster was right on every detail. I say the both sounds really good but for what you use it for the HT Claro Plus+ would be the best choice because it has better DAC and opamp. The Claro Halo XT is even better as it has everything an audiophile wants: coaxial, optical connectivity, headamp, upgradable opamp...

About the Xonar EAX emulation I would say don't buy into it. It will bring more troubles than benefits. The reason reviewers said it work well is because they only tested it on a handful of games.

TRENDING THREADS