SATA HDD sometimes not detected in BIOS (Intel DG33FB)

guy4friendship82

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Sometimes my SATA HDD are not recognized. It shows "...no boot-able media found..." error msg. In such cases when I enter the BIOS, it even do not show the SATA HDD.
Rest of the time things work fine.

Recently I purchased a new 1 TB SATA HDD (WD10EARS) and formatted it and installed Win7 64-bit. But still having the issue. I also faced the same issue when I had the 500 GB Sata drive, with Win7 64-bit. However, I don't remember any issue while I used WinXP SP2 with 500 GB HDD.

Tried everything like changing the Sata ports, changing sata/power cables.
Don't know if the issue is with BIOS Settings, PSU or motherboard.

Please help. Thanks.

Poyda

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
I have a similar problem with this board. 3 x sata hdds and intermittently one of them (always the same WD 500Gb) doesnt get recognised or shows in the bios. Running XP Pro 32bit with 4Gb Ram. I'm not sure whether its related but when I try to update bios (using Express method), machine doesnt reboot but stays off. When I power up I get message "firmware detected cmos checksum error. press any key to continue" I do that and machine boots ok with another message "bios updated ok" but the bios version reported in system information shows an unchanged version. Any ideas?

guy4friendship82

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Hey,

Sorry for this long delay.. By the time you read this msg ur problem might have got resolved. Anyways, I just wanted to point out something.

It is quite surprising that my problem got resolved quite interestingly, and almost without doing anything new. The problem got resolved after I changed my power cables, used different slots for the two Hdd (interchanged SATA port 0 & 1 with the Hdd connected), and used the 1 Tb Hdd to install the OS once again and using 500 Gb Hdd for back-up of important files & system back-up. Both the Hdd are now connected in my system and since then everything is working fine.

Please let me know how ur problem got resolved.

Cheers,
Avijit

Poyda

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

Yes, problem solved. Like you I switched around sata cables and ports and since then no more hiccups

cheers

Poyda

guy4friendship82

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

Hey,

I also faced a similar prob once again... and surprisingly the same way the problem got solved.. I was wondering if the issue is related to the power box... (smps).. I'm using a 450VA unit... someone suggested me to use a 600VA unit... as Im using 2 sata Hdd and 1 sata DVD R/w.. and also 9500GT 1GB GDR2 graphics card...

So, I'm thinking of changing the smps.. lets c what happens then... will kp u posted.. ;)

Cheers,
Avijit

Bassguitball

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

So any new word? Just happened to me when introducing new hard drive and about to switch my ports around- hope it works!