2493hm vs 2494hm

genored

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Well i need some help. I don't see anything good about the new samsung 2494hm. I has lower resolution (bigger pixels), it draws less power but that's because it only has 300 cd/m² compared to the 2493hm that has 400 cd/m².

genored

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Ya that's my thought to.

2494hm is suposed to have a better dynamic contrast and pixelmaping 1.1. What what would that mean.

genored

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
http://www.samsung.com/se/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=computersperipherals&type=computersperipherals&subtype=monitors&model_cd=LS24KIQRFV/EDC'

the specs for 2494hm are in swedish but i think you can understand it all anyway

jinxdone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I have both of these monitors and the main differences are:

HM2493:
+ 1920x1200 (Aspect ratio 16:10)
- Very, very bright, I use it at 20% brightness.
- End-of-life product, poor availability, this is why I have the HM2494 as well..

HM2494:
- 1920x1080 (Aspect ratio 16:9, probably slightly bigger pixels then, but not by much..)
+ Seems to have slightly better vertical viewing angle, the grey area effect typical for TN panels is not visible at all when viewing from a normal position. (I have seen (cheap) monitors where this is right in the middle of the screen when viewed from a normal angle.)
+ Unlike 2493 it is possible to tilt the screen to face at a downward angle as well, useful if you like to watch it sitting on a couch so that you get the optimal viewing angle.

Both have the most horrid display adjustment buttons I have ever seen, but luckily you don't have to use them too often. I'm very happy with both of them and they are very similiar but of the two because of the slight difference in resolution you could say 2493 is better for desktop work and 2494 more suited for watching tv or videos.

attila_lendvai

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
don't buy the 2494HM, unless you are ready to listen to an annoying noise
while looking at your shiny new monitor.

the long story: the backlight of the panel makes an annoying noise
when the brightness goes below 88%. i've wasted way too much time
complaining to samsung, but they say that it's normal. WTF?! this LCD
is much louder than the last CRT's i had!

and besides that the touch buttons on my piece died in the first 4
days, and still samsung hungary makes me run circles. i've reached a
point that i'm considering leving my brand new monitor in the repair
shop and forget samsung forever. i've spent so much time transporting
it and making phone calls that even financially that would have been
worth it...

and i've though that samsung is the quality when it comes to
monitors. seems like things have changed since the last time i was
reading up on reviews...

carmack

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
2494HM has lower vertical resolution but still in full HD 1920x1080, has slightly higher pixel size but still at .276 mm, has lower brightness but still has enough to hurt the eye.

Now the positve side. It has 5x higher Dynamic Contrast Ratio, more powerful 3watt x2 built-in speakers, has built-in usb port at the Stand, and it consumes "48watts only" compared to 100watts! thats about 50% more efficiency.

Just be aware of the so called "Noisy" thing, it could be a power unit issue w/c is built in to the monitor. you might wanna test it first before buying.

Hope this could help you decide other than the prevailing Prices :p

A little late to the party?
Look at the dates in this thread.
Over 3 months old and already (not including when it was brought back from the dead last month).
Yeah, I think this thread was, and is, pretty well dead...

mvietori

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Our company just bought 23 new Samsung 2494HMs and I figured I'd share my experience so far with them in case others were thinking of buying this model.

Overall they are excellent monitors and that whole thing about the "humming" sound when you turn the brightness down is bogus. Hasn't happened on any of the 23 we bought.

300cd/3 brightness is PLENTY bright. The majority of our users had to turn down the brightness to 70-80.

As stated before, the speakers are decent for built-ins and definitely get the job done in an office environment. You wouldn't want to use them at home though.

The best feature of this monitor is the height adjustable stand (HAS). Has excellent flexibility and is very sturdy. Very well designed. I wish all monitors had this type of stand. Not to mention that the whole thing comes assembled in the box, which makes deployment as easy as can be. You get the built in USB hub too, but I don't really see the benefits of having it. At least not in an office.

The 16:9 aspect ratio is no big deal, I switched from a 16:10 myself and hardly noticed. Picture wise, at native resolution everything looks fantastic. Extremely crisp and great colours. Viewing angle is sufficient, but not perfect.

We've had a few problems so far:
- In an office you have a wide variety of users, most of whom are older. At 1920x1080, the resolution makes text very small. This isn't a big deal, but with this monitor, when you AREN'T at the native resolution, text and other elements start getting fuzzy.
- There is a bug in the monitor menuing software; I've had 5-6 users call me complaining that all of a sudden their monitor goes haywire and starts switching between all the magicbright presets automatically. When this happens, you can't turn it off or do any other function with the menu. Only way to fix it is to unplug it and plug it back in. Ive had it happen on mine too. Very weird and since we've had it happen on 6 out of 23 monitors already I assume this is probably a bug in the entire line.

Other than the fuzziness (only affects users who aren't at native res) and the bugged menu software (not a big deal) it's a pretty perfect monitor. And for the price I'd say it's worth it.

creaturesfromthepink.jpg

It just won't stay dead!

BigJD

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I picked up a Samsung 2494HM at Costco this weekend. For gaming and video it works fine. But for text, even at native resolution it's a bit fuzzy. The edges of the Windows screen and taskbar were barely visible. Fortunately the graphics card software let me custom size the window so everything would fit. Even though the graphics card and windows settings are for 1920x1080, every time the screen starts up it gives an error that the resolution settings don't match the monitor.

Regarding the text, occasional letters are blurred into the one next to it. It's enough to cause quite a bit of eye strain. I'm going to have to return it and get an ultra sharp or something.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to choose a sharp screen that won't break the bank? Not all that up on resolutions and pixels, etc. My 3 year old 17" HP laptop's screen is much sharper than this one.

leon2006

Distinguished
I have been using this in the last 5 months

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11336769&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|84&N=4018599 4294910501&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Its $219 at the costco store....

No problem at 1080P for video and text. I'm using the HDMI port. I tried it with XOC 4890 and GTX 280. I get video and sound through the HDMI link.

For users with difficulty reading small text one option is change the FONT size but keep the native resolution of the screen. The screen just work fine with bigger FONT.

BigJD

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

I'll check that out. I did increase the fonts but it didn't do anything to make them sharper. I read somewhere that it could be the apsect ratio, the 16:10 being a bit better for text and the 16:9 (1080's) having more trouble with fuzzy text. I don't know, there were even some people complaining about fuzzy text on the Viewsonic so you have to wonder if there's something to it. All the mfg's seem to be changing to 16:9. Would hate to have to pay up for a Dell Ultrasharp, so I'll keep checking around.

BigJD

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

That's because there are almost no reviews anywhere on the Samsung 2494 HM. This thread is pretty much it unless you speak several foreign languages.

ldkronos

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
My wife and I both had 10 year old samsung CRTs. Hers finally died so we picked this LCD up from costco for the $199 deal. I liked it enough that I went back the next day and got myself one to replace my CRT. However, there still are a few issues. (and all my tests were done at the native resolution of 1920x1080)

1) Although it doesn't bug me since I like the brightness up, mine does exhibit the humming sound others have reported at lower brightness settings. However, it varies by input. For HDMI, the noise has a peak at around a brightness of 50, and then fades out the futher away you get (and it completely gone at +/- 10 or 15). On DVI, there are 2 peaks at 80 and 20. Analog also has 2 peaks, but they are at 80 and 30. My wife's monitor also has the same humming at about the same peak on the analog (don't know about HDMI or DVI)

2) I had a problem with blurry text. Filling the screen with text, it was very obvious there were columns where the text is blurry, then a column where it was sharp, and then it would repeat every 3 to 4 inches. Oddly enough, the problem is only on the HDMI. I don't get the same problem with an analog or DVI connection. My wife's monitor doesn't have a problem with analog either (again, don't know about HDMI or DVI).

3) With the HDMI connection, the screen does not fit on the display. Setting "Image Size" to 16x9, it chops about 30-40 pixels off each side. Even after setting it to "Just Scan" mode, there are 3-4 pixels cut off from each side of the screen. This problem doesn't appear on DVI or Analog inputs. They are pixel perfect.

4) The buttons...they are cool and annoying at the same time. In case anyone doesn't know what the deal with the button is (I don't think anyone has spelled it out)...they aren't actually physical, mechanical buttons. They are just words printed on the lower right corner of the frame. You touch where the words are and it behaves like a touch screen (of the iphone/ipod touch variety, where you just touch the glass, not like those cheaper touchscreens that have a plastic film). Ideally, this should not have any problems with the button wearing out (a problem I've encountered with a number of monitors over the years), so that's a plus. And the design/appearance is kind of cool. That said, it's inconvenient because when the room is dark, it's difficult to see where the buttons area (and there's no tactile indication). Even when you can see, it's not always intuitive. The "SOURCE" button is only responsive on the left half of the text. Same with "MENU".

So that's what I've noticed about it over 2 days. Mostly, it boils down to the fact that HDMI sucks on this monitor. Aside from that, it's pretty darn good. I think the initial color settings were a bit contrasty/saturated, but it looked pretty darn good after a few adjustments. Then I calibrated it with my Spyder 3 and it's great now.

Also, I'm a photographer, and I've heard lots of dire warnings of "don't use a TN panel for image editing". However, in what I've done with it in this short time, I've seen no issues. No banding or flickering. The only issue is the color/contrast shift at an angle. If you are sitting in a chair looking dead on, it doesn't really make a difference if you lean a bit to the left/right. The bigger issue is if you slouch or sit up straight. It's more sensitive to vertical changes in orientation. That said, it's pretty minimal, and I haven't had much of a problem with it in my brief experience so far.

BigJD

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Never tried it with the other cables, should have. Used an HDMI cable and the video card had the DVI to HDMI adapter. I didn't have any screen hum at any settings. I backed the brightness down to around 50 - 60. The fuzzy text for me was every few rows. Did have trouble with it cutting off edges of the screen too, like the windows taskbar, etc. Used the video cards options to re-size it. I suspect most people wouldn't have trouble with this, great for DVD's and gaming. My son is going to pick one up for his system.

Ended up returning mine and got a Dell Ultrasharp 2410wfp. Very sharp small text and no eye strain or any other issues. Perfect for my needs. Kids have had no problems when gaming, no ghosting. Some people say there is too much lag in this monitor for gaming, maybe that's an issue with the higher end games like Crysis, but none on World of Warcraft or Counterstrike. Tons of ports and adjustments, even rotates 90 degrees horizontal to vertical. Worth every penny, love it.

cellude

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
ldkronos, Could you please post the settings you used to get the correct color and sat. settings from Spyder?

Thanks.

Latest posts