Your question

RAID Question

Tags:
  • SSD
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 5, 2010 12:37:56 PM

I wonder is it possible to make a RAID between a SA TA 3GB/s SSD and a SA TA 6GB/s SSD...

More about : raid question

a c 99 G Storage
July 9, 2010 2:31:48 AM

Possible, yes.

Recommended, NO.

On different SATA controllers, NO.

You'd have to RAID them together on either 2-SATA II or 2-SATA III ports. And the speed would be restricted by the slowest drive, and the size will be only double the smallest drive.

But why would you RAID a SATA III 6.0Gbps SSD? It alone should kill a SATA II drive, even in RAID 0. And they are EXPENSIVE!

*** Edit***

Okay, maybe not.

Read speeds UP TO 355MBps. My RAID 0 array beats that. Write speed of 70MBps, same as mine (to only thing that hurts Intel SSD drives).

And $149.99, cheaper than an Intel X25-M 80GB G2 $219.99.
m
l
July 17, 2010 2:36:35 PM

foscooter said:
Possible, yes.

Recommended, NO.

On different SATA controllers, NO.

You'd have to RAID them together on either 2-SATA II or 2-SATA III ports. And the speed would be restricted by the slowest drive, and the size will be only double the smallest drive.

But why would you RAID a SATA III 6.0Gbps SSD? It alone should kill a SATA II drive, even in RAID 0. And they are EXPENSIVE!

*** Edit***

Okay, maybe not.

Read speeds UP TO 355MBps. My RAID 0 array beats that. Write speed of 70MBps, same as mine (to only thing that hurts Intel SSD drives).

And $149.99, cheaper than an Intel X25-M 80GB G2 $219.99.

OK i know that Intel X25-V 40GB in RAID 0 reach up to 380MB/s reading speed, but how it would be the reading & writing speed in RAID 0 of the Crucial C300 64GB.
BTW thanks for the reply :D 
m
l
Related resources
a c 99 G Storage
July 18, 2010 8:57:56 PM

Theoritcally, double.

Actually, a little slower, due to mobo chipset controller interaction.

But I once ran a benchmark on my RAID 0, and got a max. 437.0 MB/s reads, with 305.4MB/s average reads. Writes stay around 70MB/s. Single drives rate at 170r/35w, so my reads actully peaked at over double (2.5+X) the single drive rate.

So who really knows?
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:54:32 PM

Hmm, how time it need to boot ?
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
July 19, 2010 7:12:22 PM

I'll time it tonight, as I'm not on my home PC right now. Yes,my home PC is better than my work PC!

But, last time I counted as it was boorting up, it took about 20 econds AFTER the BIOS post. So once I got the Microsoft "graphics" and into windows ready to use (e.g. no mouse circles), about 20 seconds. But after I logon, which is included in the 20 sec., about 2 seconds to load my profile, ready to go.
m
l
July 20, 2010 3:34:53 PM

foscooter said:
I'll time it tonight, as I'm not on my home PC right now. Yes,my home PC is better than my work PC!

But, last time I counted as it was boorting up, it took about 20 econds AFTER the BIOS post. So once I got the Microsoft "graphics" and into windows ready to use (e.g. no mouse circles), about 20 seconds. But after I logon, which is included in the 20 sec., about 2 seconds to load my profile, ready to go.

Nice, man!
Like i see right now, nothing can boot Win 7 in under 10 seconds!
But thats OK , in comparasion with mine...
Once i have putted the DVD with WIn 7 ultimate 32 bit on my old scholl P3 (i haven't installed it because isn't possible) and just to boot the Win 7 logo it tooked 5 minutes and 35 seconds.
I wish i could have money for new PC but my aunty is "playing" with me with years, she allways says that she will bring some PC but that is happening with years so i have loosed every hope on it.
I can have a new PC just if i robb some bankd :D  :D  :D 
Just kidding, it's inpossible i to do that :)  :)  :) 
m
l
!