ItsRobert

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I always wondered which RAID would be the fastest one.
RAID 0 or RAID 5 ?
If the two configurations would have same number of drives,capacity, and speed of drives which one would be faster ?

Solution
RAID 0 would be faster. When writing to RAID5 there is a checksum that has to be calculated and written and when reading there is one less drive that can help delivering your data as it is used for the parity information.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
RAID 0 would be faster. When writing to RAID5 there is a checksum that has to be calculated and written and when reading there is one less drive that can help delivering your data as it is used for the parity information.

Solution

ItsRobert

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Does the RAID 0 is the fastest RAID ?

spinning rust

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
so much more to it than that, you need to know how your controller stripes the drives. my array at work stripes 64k across 2 disks. if my N = odd # of disks then the stipes will not align evenly.

so if we are speaking about 5 disks, a 4 + 1 would give me even striping as compaired to a 5 + 0.

does your controller do IO coalescing? if so, then RAID type playes less of a role in write performance as it will bundle smaller IO into a single IO. Also, RAID 5 really sucks at random writes, sequential writes are not so bad.

file system also plays a role. look at NetApp, they get RAID 10 like performance with their WAFFLE filesystem on RAID 6.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I am not really following you here. What is the benefit of the stripes being spread odd or even across the disks?