Sign in with
Your question

Sudden shutdown, then problems to boot

Last response: in Overclocking
June 20, 2010 12:45:13 AM

Hello,
I built a number-crunching computer for a friend of mine (no gaming).
- i7 860
- Antec ECO PSU Bronze 430 W
- Gigabyte MB ga-p55-usb3
- G.Skill 1600 memory 4 G
- Noctua heatsink + 2 fans
I started to OC this machine with a goal of a near 4Ghz 24/7 setting. Everything looked good, I ran many rounds of Linx etc. Temperature on a high setting was relatively high; low 80s, which if I understand correctly is ok for the extreme Linx test. Vcc/Vtt= 1.32/1.3 typically.

Now, all of a sudden the machine shut down, and it didn't want to start.(LEDs might light up for a second but nothing more) I replaced the PSU, and I still had problems. But then, equally sudden, I got it to work on my second PSU as well as my original PSU.
Put everything back in the box. Ran some more, bam; shutdown and doesn't want to start.
Never seen this before; what's confusing is that after the initial problem, the system looked perfectly fine. And then it behaved the same; persistently refuses to powerup at all. And also, I switched the PSU, with the same behavior, which points to the MB, but then it booted fine after resting for hour or so.
Anyone seen this? Suggestions?

Thanks,
a b K Overclocking
June 20, 2010 1:58:13 AM

The budget P55 boards have been known to have problems with higher VTT under heavy load, you may want to check out your board for anything that looks burned around the socket area (PWM).
m
l
June 20, 2010 4:31:05 AM

Good suggestion; my last effort to figure out this thing ended with a puff of smoke from the chips under the passive heatsink next to the socket. Definitely toast now.

RJR, if I may ask; what would you consider as 'high Vtt'? I kept the Vtt one notch below the red-marked voltages in the BIOS, which if I remember correctly is around 1.35V. Typically I used 1.29-1.31, since the CPU temps under Linx started to climb over 80 C. On my x58 board (ga-x58a-ud5) I run 1.35 and people seem to suggest that is no problem as long as you keep an eye on temp etc.

Thanks,

m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2010 3:25:06 AM

gunnarhx said:
RJR, if I may ask; what would you consider as 'high Vtt'? I kept the Vtt one notch below the red-marked voltages in the BIOS, which if I remember correctly is around 1.35V. Typically I used 1.29-1.31, since the CPU temps under Linx started to climb over 80 C. On my x58 board (ga-x58a-ud5) I run 1.35 and people seem to suggest that is no problem as long as you keep an eye on temp etc.

Thanks,

Well, I know when I got my P55 board and i7 860 just when they were released, my Bios stated 1.33v (I'm pretty sure) but after the first Bios update and also from Intel's data sheet, they both say 1.21v now as the Max VTT. I think it really depends on the board but if your going to play it safe I would stick with the 1.21v max. Yeah the X58 does allow a higher VTT.

Here is a link to Intel's data sheets:

http://www.intel.com/design/corei7/documentation.htm

m
l
!