ajcote

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
so I built a new computer and I know its not some super computer or anything but it does work well, I am alittle concerned about the temp though and was looking for some info
the computer is XFX GeForce 8200 with an amd 64x2 3800+ inside an HP case, and 4gig of OCZ reaper X pc8000 1000mhz dual channel ddr2 (2x2048) I put this computer together a couple days ago and then today I downloaded speedfan and was looking at the system temps. its showing the core temp being low at 25c, aux normal at 45c, Cpu at 31c idle and 41c load, system temp is low at 33c and the part I dont get Gpu high at 75c is this normal? I have a pretty large heat sink on the Cpu with an asus fan, and also 2 black magic fans in the case one on the back and one on the side facing the center of the mobo, also I cant change anything in CMOS or the computer will not boot up the RAM is running at 400mhz (im guessing because they have to be in dimm slots 1 and 3 because of the heat pipes?), if I change any voltage settings or dimm timings anything at all it will not boot up.
PLEASE HELP!!!!! :(

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
what motherboard do you have can you read the temps in bios or some
kind of motherboard software utility like Easy Tune6 or amd overdrive to
see it the temps are the same did you say
and the part I dont get Gpu high at 75c that the gpu is video card maybe the
fan stopped working you could check the fan and the nvidia control panel should be able to read the thermal sensor of uour vid card run some kind of 3d drmo or something ?
Yes thats seems kinda hot for that chip gforce 8200 whops integraded
grapchics could be alright my nb chip runs at 80 cel. ?

ajcote

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
ok I am really confused now! I was finally able to change my bios settings and before the changes the temps in bios and on speedfan were the same with the gpu hot at 75c, I didnt touch the gpu settings but I overclocked the CPU from 2000.0mhz to 2511.7mhz and the odd thing is the GPU temp went from 75c to 72c, still seems high. speedfan is also showing everything else to be normal temps now even the low ones. so how is this even possible? faster clocks produce more heat correct? which is why all the low temps would be normal now but how would the GPU temp go down?

Im Lost :pt1cable:

Yes 75 is a relatively normal GPU temp under load. It does sound like an integrated solution when you say geforce 8200. Many times when a mobo has integrated video it will simply be cooled by a copper heatsink, so there's no fan to adjust.

The difference in temp readings, did you read 75 in windows and 72 in the bios? Because windows software can interpret signals from the mobo differently than the bios. I tend to think that bios temps are more reliable, but it depends on the quality of the mobo.

693b

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I used the integrated 8200 graphics for approx. six months, played BF2 and BFV with it, mine was hitting 80+c, but it ran fine(well okay), I was actually surprised that it even ran those games at +40 fps. I couldn't use AA at all though, even 2x dipped the fps to one digit numbers...

It doesn't have a fan and I couldn't even locate it's chip on the mobo, so it might not even have a heatsink :)

ajcote

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I am sure the GPU doesnt have a heatsink and I know it doesnt have a fan, but all the temps were the same in bios and on speedfan I dont know that it is normal or even high it just seems high to me I may be wrong, either way it seems to work fine with normal setting and overclocked,
the best part is I only have about $65us into this machine :lol:

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
It could be a bad tempature sensor as well. Feel the card while its running (make sure to discharge yourself first) and see how hot it is to the touch. If its overwhelming hot, maybe clean up your cables or get an extra case fan. If not it might be a bad tempature probe or bios settings are messed up.

ajcote

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009

I havent been able to find the chip either. I do have an aluminum GPU heat sink, I think that would help but if I cant find the chip I guess I cant install it anyway, its currently overclocked to 2.5ghz and everything is normal or as normal as it will get, I still cant change the memory timings or anything and its kinda annoying since I have only been able to hit 500mhz with 2, 2gig modules rated at 1000mhz, any Ideas???
almost forgot, I did touch the mobo in different areas and nothing felt hot at all, the hottest part in the computer is the PSU, but hey thats going to get hot anyway right!

ajcote

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
yeah I get that but it only recognizes it at 400mhz and I was only able to get to 500, I think I heard somewhere that it will only see 400mhz because the heatpipes are so big I can only use dimm slots 1 and 3 and that if I take the heat sinks off and use 1 and 2 that it would show the 1000mhz? either way I am not going to do that until I get another 4gig of ram and can sandwich the middle two between the out side modules

isn' t there a problem with the voltage for some memory sticks, and they'll boot up at a slower speed and a lower voltage and you may have to up the voltage to get full speed. Have a look with cpu-z and see what the spd settings are.

ajcote

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
CPU-z shows core speed 2511.7mhz with a multiplier of 10, bus speed 250mhz,
ht link 1250mhz, memory= dram freq 500mhz with timings of 5, 5, 5, 18. @1.8v
how ever it only shows the ram as PC2 6400 (400mhz) 2048meg x 2 but its supposed to be pc2 8000, is this because they are in dimm slots 1 and 3? according to OCZ they should boot at 1000mhz with the same timings I would like to try them in slots 1 and 2 but will wait and see when I get more ram, I guess the biggest problem with the ram is I cant change the voltage or it wont boot up at all, also cant change the timings at all or it wont boot either
also when I get my other 2 mem sticks does anyone know how to get the heat sinks and heat pipes off with out breaking the module? there are 3 screws that hold the top and the sides are stuck to the modules with glue or some kind of adhesive ( they are the OCZ reaper x) http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3495738&CatId=2265

ajcote

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
UPDATE: well this mobo is going back first thing in the morning! while running a simple stability test my display flashed once and then went out (after install bios update). now the computer will not boot up from HDD or my windows CD the bios display on the mobo is going crazy, I cant get any display even with an added video card or even through the HDMI port to my TV, havent got a reply from XFX yet but it is already out of the case and in the box with the recipt

ajcote

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
well I finally got a update on my mobo from XFX (after it took 2 weeks for ups to get it there) and they said in testing, J6W002880 was found faulty. not sure what that is yet, waiting on a reply from xfx but I bet its the GPU.

TRENDING THREADS