Sign in with
Your question

My dvd drive isn't getting power!

Last response: in Storage
July 5, 2010 2:19:02 PM

I just put together my new computer build, and everything has worked fine so far. However, my dvd drive is showing no sign that it is connected to power! Neither is my hard drive for that matter, but It is a bare drive, so I think the dvd drive is the more pressing problem. I have the data cable hooked up to the motherboard sata port (I have tried many different ports to no avail) and a sata power connector connecting it and my hard drive to the power supply (I have tried only the dvd drive, and used the other cable). Also, I have inserted the power cable in different outlets in the power supply to no avail. The bios shows no devices in the sata ports at all. What can I do?

More about : dvd drive power

a b G Storage
July 5, 2010 4:45:49 PM

If two drives have that same problem, the fault is the power supply's. A drive should power up on power on even if not connected to the motherboard, so if there are no lights or sounds of spinning, they have no power. Try different cables, and if you have a multimeter try testing for voltage at the cable connection points (assuming you have a modular supply).
a b G Storage
July 8, 2010 3:26:31 PM

My bet is on the PSU.
!