mchad1403

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
So recently i've been noticing that it takes forever to log into my computer. I am running windows XP Pro SP3. It's been slowly getting longer and longer and i'm debating whether this can be fixed, or i should just wipe it clean and install Win7. (I never did because my NIC was unsupported by 7, but i have since gotten a new one). After login everything runs like it should. games run mint, internet blows (thats not computers fault), but otherwise, smooth =] I am currently cleaning off all unused programs, defragging, and ccleaning everything. I have run the most recent virus scans and nothing has shown up so i am assuming that there are no virus's on my machine.

Note: The login time is approximately from entering the password and pressing enter, i can get up, grab a soda, go to the bathroom, come back, sit down as my machine is logged in.

Note: The login time is approximately from entering the password and pressing enter, i can get up, grab a soda, go to the bathroom, come back, sit down as my machine is logged in.
About the bathroom part, #1 or #2?

Seriously... empty the prefetch folder..
Right-Click Start>Explore
Navigate to the Windows/Prefetch folder
Enter Ctrl A, (selecting all)
Push the delete key.

Next time you run a program it will take slightly longer to start, (because Windows will rebuild the prefetch items as they are started again, one at a time) but after that it will be much faster.
Boot time will speed up greatly.

It's the "It's been slowly getting longer and longer" part that makes the prefetch folder seem likely to be a major cause although I'll agree with you that too many startup items can drag the boot/program startup down. I definitely agree with disabling startup of un-needed programs at startup. Who need things like Quicktime to load at every start if a person may not use it for weeks at a time and other programs that seldom get used but there they are at every startup.

@mchad1403,

Right-click on the program icons running in the system tray, look for "Options" or "Properties" and then look for the culprit "Start with Windows" or similar and un-check so that program must be manually started. This will free up memory and speed startup more than anything else.

tapko

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
another option--
start>run> type---msconfig

toggle to the startup tab and uncheck the items that are unneeded and are starting at startup. I have 3 items my antivirus, my cpu optimizer, a secondary antispyware program...

If you are not sure which to uncheck you could google or bing them and say "do I need ___ to run at startup?"
You could also uncheck 1 at a time and restart each time and experiment carefully.

Good luck post back..the above suggestions were very good also.