Sign in with
Your question

How to apply arctic silver 5 on core i5

Last response: in Overclocking
June 20, 2010 3:09:23 AM

How should I apply Arctic Silver 5 on my Intel Core i5 750?? I have a AC Freezer 7 Pro. So last night I decided to replace the thermal paste that came with the Freezer 7 and I follow the instructions on the Arctic Silver 5 website but unfortunately my temps went 10C higher than the thermal paste with the Freezer 7. The AC Freezer 7 Pro thermal paste kept my cpu idle at around 35~40C. But after reapplying with AS5, my idle temps were 43C~50~, and worse of all, during load and Prime95 it would be at 70C~80C. I reapplied it one more time but the temps were still high. So what did I do wrong??? How should I apply the AS5 so the temps would be low again.
June 20, 2010 8:53:49 PM

Make sure you apply a thin layer. Don't glob it on. Make sure its smooth. Use a business card or an old credit card and work it like a putty knife. Make sure you cover the entire cpu. Don't put it on the cpu cooler AND the cpu, just the cpu.
m
l
June 24, 2010 11:29:51 AM

I just read those same instructions. I will be building a similar rig here in a week except I am using the Scythe Mugen 2 rev B.

Did you remove/clean the heatsink/cpu plate beforehand? Did you use the tinting method in the instructions? And did you put your line in the correct orientation?

I'm curious because I wanted to know if I should follow the instructions exactly or do it some other way...
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
June 28, 2010 3:47:54 AM

touchdowntexas13 said:
I just read those same instructions. I will be building a similar rig here in a week except I am using the Scythe Mugen 2 rev B.

Did you remove/clean the heatsink/cpu plate beforehand? Did you use the tinting method in the instructions? And did you put your line in the correct orientation?

I'm curious because I wanted to know if I should follow the instructions exactly or do it some other way...

I have a Scythe Mugen 2 and use Arctic Silver 5 as my thermal compound. I've tried many different methods, but I have to say the best method for me is the spread method. What I did was put a dot about half the size of a rice grain(you can add more if you'd like) and I used the inside of a new ziplock bag to spread it around thinly/evenly.

If you're going to be mounting it yourself, I suggest you put the SM2 upside down, so that the base plate is facing you. Then get your motherboard and flip it upside down as well and put the included back plate on top of your motherboard and slowly match it with the holes on the SM2. If you can do it, try to lower it slanted, so you minimize the air bubbles between the base plate and CPU. Once you have all the screws in, try to screw it in as tight as possible, so you can get a good mount.

I also use 2 fans in a horizontal push/pull setup and did a "wind tunnel" mod using duck tape to cover the top/bottom sides. My mod doesn't really do much for the temps, but it stops the pushed air from leaking out the top and bottom sides.

Hope everything goes well and good luck with your build!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 28, 2010 4:09:21 AM

A very common misconception with TIMs is that you should spread the paste out with a credit card/plastic bag/etc, but doing so will generally just add air into to the TIM, which you do not want (the TIM is there so that there is no air between the CPU and heatsink).

Simply add a BB-sized droplet to the center of the CPU IHS and let the contact pressure of your cooler spread it out. The polished base on that cooler should spread out a thin paste like AS5 nicely.

Now, if it was a HDT cooler that didn't have a flat base, using another application method would probably work better.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 28, 2010 6:00:24 AM

I've tried using the droplet method, but it just doesn't produce good temps for me.
m
l
!