$NTuninstallKB123456 files

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I have a laptop with XP home loaded. Keep up with all the hotfixes, patches,
etc. and find that I accumulate a large number of $NTUninstallKB12345
folders in the C:\windows directory. The number there is the patch number.
These folders eventually take up a good bit of space so I'm wondering if
it's safe to delete them. I don't want the Windows Update site to think I've
missed those patches so want to be sure I can safely delete the folders and
not be prompted to repatch my copy of XP. Tried the Microsoft support site
but can't find anything on point

---

Jerry

Remove Hotfix Backups - www.dougknox.com

"Michael" <milo_dhuey@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with XP home loaded. Keep up with all the hotfixes,
patches,
> etc. and find that I accumulate a large number of $NTUninstallKB12345
> folders in the C:\windows directory. The number there is the patch number.
> These folders eventually take up a good bit of space so I'm wondering if
> it's safe to delete them. I don't want the Windows Update site to think
I've
> missed those patches so want to be sure I can safely delete the folders
and
> not be prompted to repatch my copy of XP. Tried the Microsoft support site
> but can't find anything on point
>

> ---

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Michael" <milo_dhuey@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a laptop with XP home loaded. Keep up with all the hotfixes, patches,
>etc. and find that I accumulate a large number of $NTUninstallKB12345
>folders in the C:\windows directory. The number there is the patch number.
>These folders eventually take up a good bit of space so I'm wondering if
>it's safe to delete them.

Yes, if you do not ned to uninstall the patches. Also search for
Q*.LOG and KB*.LOG files with the same number in the WINDOWS folder
and delete thme as well. Next go to the Control Panel > Add and remove
Programs and double-click the entries for the patches. Windows will
remove the entries for you now.

--
(tm)