So behind in computers and looking for help

omglock

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Hi to you all! I haven't been following with all the computer tech for the past years and I was wondering if I can get some help over here. My current PC is so old that it is embarrassing and so is my laptop (let's just say it's 4 years old and above). I am looking for help from you lovely and nice people on possibly a gaming desktop and I assume if it can handle gaming, it can do browsing and multi-tasking with all those other programs (no video editing or anything though, at least not yet). I also want it if possible to last for a couple of years (another 4-5 years maybe).

So, please help me :(. My budget is around 1200-1500 USD (incl. tax + ship), and let's just assume that I'm gonna use my old case (I think it was a Lian-Li model) and also I want the best money can get with that budget :D. I would like to play like Crysis or TF2 or WoW or Call Of Duty

Sorry if it seems that I do not want to do my homework, but it's just hard to jump in again after a long time (at least for me). Thanks again, much appreciated.

P.S. I live in Los Angeles area. I do not need DVD-RW or speakers.

Not to bad but there are a few changes I would make.

Consider switching the RAM to This Set.
For an extra $10, you will get a set that is capable of running much better timings (CL7 vs CL9) and should be a better overclocker if you intend to do so.

Two things against the video card you selected.
First off, it is a deactivated item which means they will never get a new shipment of them.
Secondly, the GTX 260 is trumped both in price and performance by other cards.
If you wish to stick with nVidia, look into this GTX 260 Core 216 for $230 after a $50 MIR.
Alternately, I could recommend a faster and cheaper 4870 1Gb for $225 after a $15 MIR or a Pair of 4850's, which will be much faster than either of the previous single cards, for $290.

The PSU you are looking at is an excellent one.
You can, however, save some cash with a PCP&C Silencer 610w or PCP&C Silencer 750w.
Both are very high quality and are more than capable of powering your system.
At $70 after $35 MIR and $80 after $40 MIR respectively, you will have an extra $25-35 in your pocket.

omglock

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I would rather get from reputable company, both resellers and the manufacturer. I have no experience in any of them including the one I picked. the reason being i will be bringing this back home (indonesia) where it is not so up to date with the current nice tech, just like myself. For the PSU and the RAM, I will probably get the one you recommended the 750W one.

So i guess the only thing that is still up in the air is the video card. I looked up mwave.com from resellerratings and such and it seems that mwave is quite reputable but i never had any experience with them and the price is also the same from the one in newegg. So any advice on vid card and the choices?

EDIT: i dont know how the system works at newegg, but when an item goes out of stock, do they usually just restock it or not? HDD is apparently now OOS