Quick upgrade recomendations

Hi, not sure if i am in the right section, i haven't been keeping up with everything since my last build so i am looking for some help to get me on the right track.

At first all i wanted to do is upgrade my cpu to one that has virtualization support (or hardware virtualization whatever it's called) because i wanted to setup linux with windows that way.
Anyway, i found out that my board wont take any cpu that has this feature so i am now looking for a new cpu and a new board..
i don't know where to start.
I was planning a complete system build this year (towards the end i would say) and i have a lot on my plate at the moment in terms on finances so I'm not after a beast, as long as it is better than what I have now (don't want to downgrade) but is the cheapest option all up.

I wouldn't mind something that could have reasonable overclock speeds if i do decide to in the future.

I would love to put in together this week as it is my last week of holidays and i have the time now..

any help will be much appreciated.
thank you.
68 answers Last reply
More about quick upgrade recomendations
  1. sorry my signature didn't come up and it wouldn't let me edit..
    my current system:
    MB: DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert...CPU: AMD Opteron 170 (stock cooling & not OC)...RAM: OCZ 2x1gb Gold edition GX XTC PC4000 3-4-3-8...GRAPHICS: EVGA GeFORCE 7900GT...HDD: OS;2x80gb Seagate drives (stripe), Storeage;1x300gb Seagate, 1x500gb SATA external drive (USB)...PSU: ZALMAN 750w...OS: Windows XP Pro sp3

and i live in Melbourne Australia..
    cheers..
  2. Ooops sorry, that's what happens when you step away from the computer while posting...

Looks like the only thing I still need to know is quad core or dual? You can check the guide in my signature to help you decide.
  3. i don't get the first thing..
  4. sorry i ment to add:
    quad i guess but if the price is way too high in the end i will settle for dual atm..
  5. Well, set a budget :P I don't know what "way too high" is in your case.

In my last post, I had asked you a bunch of questions that you pretty much answered while I was still posting... so then I edited it.

Here are a few different ideas...
    Q6600
    E7300

P45 motherboard
  6. I use vmware on a very similar machine. There is no NEED to upgrade. But if you really want to upgrade you might find multitasking performance with vmware is improved with a processor with and integrated memory controller. IE amd 9950 (or phenom II out in two days) or a core i7.
  7. under $1000AUS would be ideal.. as soon as i get some kind of base ill be happy (like what you have just given me)
    atm i could say i could go with the more expensive option, the Q6600..

what you think?
  8. I doubt you would go near that much to start. You just need MB/CPU/RAM today... unless you are having stability issues with that Zalman PSU.

I'll post a quick list:
    Gigabyte UD3P
    P45 motherboard, crossfire enabled. Well built, excellent OCs. You may never need the crossfire feature, but at this price it's good to have in case.

Q6600

Xigmatek cooler
    VERY good CPU cooler. Didn't realize you guys had them down there.
    Xig backplate
    Paste

G.skill 4GB 800Mhz
  9. There you go, I picked some sites I had, but you might find better prices. I think Umart is good.
  10. your a legend thanks a lot
    try www.msy.com.au if you need to assist anyone from here they usually have the best prices or a search on www.staticice.com.au

thanks a lot once again..
  11. hey could you please do me a favor and check to see if these ram are the same (at the top, they are $58) pccasegear says $105..
  12. I can't tell on the RAM. You'll need to call them and verify that the voltage is either 1.8V or 1.8-1.9V, then I would say it's OK.
  13. beautiful ill order it now..thanks

does msy have the right ram?
  14. sweet
  15. sorry about these double posts, it wont let me edit, but is 1.9v better? or doesn't matter?

also i heard the thermalrite coolers are really good..or you think the xigmatek is the best choice?
  16. its 6.20am here i think i better get to bed, ill leave it with you.
    one last question will this board support my 7900gt gfx card?
    oh and the stepping on the Q6600 is G0 yes?

ill check back when i get back, i haven't ordered anything so if you decide to change something, your free to do so...lol..thank a lot by the way much appreciated. take care!
  17. Yes the board will support any single PCI-E card, or two ATI cards in crossfire should you get the urge.

1.8V is better than 1.9V, by a bit. It's mostly because of compatibility issues first, and possible overclocking room second.

Yes the Q6600 they list is labeled as a G0, that's the stepping. It's important in overclocking.
  18. i am going to get these parts local instead so i might have to settle for a different cooler because i can't find it in any of the local shops..
  19. i am about to walk out the door to go shopping
    in another forum i was recommended a e8400 because "it will give better gaming performance in the short term and better oc"

so now im tossing up between the e8400 and the q6600
  20. I thought you read my guide and had decided based on that. It's pretty clear on that sort of thing.

I don't know Linux that well, but would assume any virtual machine could be assigned a separate core to run on? If that's not what is important to you, and you want optimal gaming performance today, the the E400 is probably the better choice.
  21. think i might go with e8400
    now its down to cooler
  22. ok i pretty much got every thing i grabbed the E8400 E0 stepping and the cooler (xig) is on order (2 days eta)
    My friend also just got his hardware but he got a e8500 instead it was only an extra 20 something bucks more and is over 3.16ghz instead of 3ghz.. should i try and exchange for that extra couple of bucks? or is there some other reason why i should stick with this?

if i should get the E8500 what stepping should i get? still E0?
    thanks
  23. im really sorry for all the mutiple questions/post but it still wont let me edit my own posts and im trying to get out of your hair, am i getting annoying yet? if i am or have been for a while my apologies..

less important right now but i thought id ask. Just say if i wanted to get a new gfx card at no more than about $300au and a hdd (or 2 for raid0) for OS (storages can stay, plus the 2x80gb drives i have now can shift over to more storage if they are replaced.)
  24. omg ok i am going to bed now so this is the absolute last thing i will post, i sware, the ram i got was the ram you posted earlier it is the PQ $85 but he charged me for the PI which is $101. should i stick with the PQ and get a the difference back or just change over to the PI?
    im truly sorry for all this mess i have posted and all the questions i'm throwing at you.. ill leave you to it
    Thank you for all your help and patients. much appreciated.

post #4
  25. You can always get more performance by spending more money :) The E8500 will get you a bit more. I think you'll be suprised by how fast either CPU is, especially with moderate overclocks.

Stepping is not as important on the Wolfdales. This is because they don't accumulate as much heat as quad core CPUs.

"PI" is not enough data, as G.skill makes several. If you got the "Black" version that runs at 4-4-4-12 and 1.8-1.9V, that's as good as it gets. Keep it.

If you got the version that runs at those timings but 2.1V, take it back.

Then, there is a version that's 5-5-5-15 and 1.9V... that's OK I suppose, but you shouldn't pay more for it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2118.html
    Best card for about $300au?
    Well, for about $330 there is the 4870
    For about $210 there is the 4850
  26. the ram i have now is this which if i keep i need to get money back for it.( it has 1.8v-1.9v on the box)
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_743&products_id=8185

the one i paid for is this:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_743&products_id=8184

the shop i bought it at was msy so the prices were incredibly lower, the first ram is $58 and the second they charge $101 au
  27. Other than the heat spreaders, there's not really much difference in the two. Possibly if you have heat issues where the computer will be, or you really like the looks of the PI, you could get that. Otherwise get the $16 bucks back.
  28. yea i just kept the cheaper ones..
    to be honest i hate the look of the pi's heat spreaders.. another guy in another forum said to get em because they will make for an easier oc and are at least 40% faster at stock. he replied too late. but i don't really mind..

i think i will get a graphics card tomorrow, if i can afford it.
    options:
    1GB 4850 Gigabyte $301
    512M 4870 ASUS $365
    thats really all i can find local and thats at msy
  29. would consider: 1GB 4870 Gigabyte $453 / ASUS $454
    these are all from msy so they don't have specifics.
  30. I saw some good deals on 512MB 4850s. Get one of those, and if you find yourself needing more later, get a second one.
  31. that gigabyte 1gb 4850 for $301?
  32. im just gonna get it..lol
  33. hey im a bit confused with directX, these new cards support directX 10.1 so shouldn't there be a directx 10.1 installation? the card came with 9.0 and i can't find 10.1 at microsoft.com
  34. DX10 is only available in Vista.
  35. yea found out its included with vista and sp1 upgrades to 10.1 something like that, i have vista ultimate 64bit anyway.
    but yeah that's about it i think, soon as the cooler gets here im gonna slap it all together.

thanks for all your help yeah..much appreciated
  36. need a couple 120mm "blue light" case fans, any recommendations?
  37. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999122

You would probably need to dial those down a bit to keep them quiet.
  38. thanks, your a legend!..
    just had a quick look at some pictures of the xigmatek cooler and i noticed the way it meets the cpu, the heatpipes directly contact the cpu, now what would this mean in terms of applying the AS5 thermal grease?
    apply it to the cpu as per usual?
  39. also, is the command rate for the ram set in bios in these boards? or does it depend on the slots? eg. on my current dfi board, to enable 1T timings you have to insert the ram sticks on the orange slots which are 2 & 4 the 1 & 3 slots (yellow) would mean it would be 2T.
  40. I believe Arctic Silver has instructions for just such coolers on their website.

If not, you could just do it the way I did. I got excellent results:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248035-29-xigmatek-s1283-e8400
    Look down at the bottom of the thread, where I described the whole process.
  41. yea i read your guide on it, im scared now, my friend has a similar setup to mine, same cpu same cooler, ill practice on his first ..hehe
  42. ok. its all put together, i am having a problem though, i finally managed to boot vista dvd(when it wants to), i get to the point where i choose the drive to install, i am trying install raid drivers but am getting a few errors, i open the MSM64 off the driver cd and extract it all to my usb drive, but now its saying it cannot find hardware or something (im guessing the raid disks)..i will give specifics tomorrow i know i haven't given you much.
    the hdds are on the Intel chip (the orange connectors), i have gone through the raid utility thing and created the raid0 array,
    everything seems fine, i even loaded optimized and fail safe bios settings..
    and this copy of vista is fine (installed on a very similar system)

i have been trying a few things but maybe i am missing something, if you can't comment due to lack of info i will post exactly what is going on tomorrow after work..
    thanks
  43. the first thing to do is to check in the BIOS that your settings are all correct. Especially RAM voltage and timings.

You might be having some RAID issues too.
  44. yea checked bios settings, ram voltage is 1.8v & timings are normal, i deleted the raid raid array and created a fresh one and still no luck,
    i get to the point where it says load driver, so i load the "iaStor.inf" from extracted msm64 files on usb stick and it says: "No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media."
  45. ayeayre said:
    ok. its all put together, i am having a problem though, i finally managed to boot vista dvd(when it wants to), i get to the point where i choose the drive to install, i am trying install raid drivers but am getting a few errors, i open the MSM64 off the driver cd and extract it all to my usb drive, but now its saying it cannot find hardware or something (im guessing the raid disks)..i will give specifics tomorrow i know i haven't given you much.
    the hdds are on the Intel chip (the orange connectors), i have gone through the raid utility thing and created the raid0 array,
    everything seems fine, i even loaded optimized and fail safe bios settings..
    and this copy of vista is fine (installed on a very similar system)

i have been trying a few things but maybe i am missing something, if you can't comment due to lack of info i will post exactly what is going on tomorrow after work..
    thanks

Based on the parts in red, it sounds to me as if you are having general problems, not just RAID driver problems?
  46. oh i forgot that i did manage to get past that load driver section once before but i can't remember how but when i was at the stage just after it where it asks where you want to install it it was giving me another error(cant remember what it said exactly) i tried the format,new,delete buttons but it wouldn't work for some reason.

it also says the array is healthy and it is set to boot whenever i start the system..
    got me stumped..but i got a feeling it's something simple and stupid or the hdd's are pharked??

never had an annoying problem like this before, not being able to even install windows..just wanna get it going..
    thanks..
  47. Proximon said:
    Based on the parts in red, it sounds to me as if you are having general problems, not just RAID driver problems?

nah it seems to be booting every time now, think it was just a bios setting, that's all fine..

and i also just tried getting the latest drivers from the intel website and updating to latest bios..
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Virtualization Systems Product