I hope I didn't mess it up....

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
After I changed the timings of my RAM, I thought my system was stable but it was acting weird as of yesterday. While my wife was on facebook, all of a sudden, my system reset to post screen, and when it got to windows, it said that windows encountered a error: click: safe mode, start windows normally ect. Later on, I was playing FSX and while I was parked in an airport it did it again (this was about 1 1/2 hours after it happened to my wife). Before this, my system has been stable and no issues for the whole month ( I built it at the end of April and fired it up at the beginning of May). The only thing I tried to do, was chaneg my RAM timings. I have GSKILL ddr3-1600 3x2GB ram sticks (triple). The RAM was showing up on post as 1.5v and as ddr3-1066. The timings and CL were off. The timings on my sticks should be ddr3-1600 at 8-8-8-21 (CL8). I changed the voltage to 1.6v (says 1.6-1.65) as well as the timings in the bios screen. I set the mem frequency as 1600. After all of this, when I exited (saved and such), my system seemed like it shut itself off and on as it reset. The mem frequency showed as 1600 but then it seemed to change the timings I set from 8-8-8-21 to 11-11-11-21.

With my system restarting while surfing the net or playing a game, did I make it unstable from changing the timings? Also, are the RAM sticks at triple (triple something, its slipping my mind, sorry).I took two pictures from cpu-z and it looks like my RAM is showing as 796, from the other pic that shows my actual RAM (the one that says EMP-1600 with the correct timings)...is this normal? Does anyone see any issues in both pics? Thanx

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww250/nyislesfan_2009/memactual.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww250/nyislesfan_2009/mem.jpg

If you want stability, I would let the board decide the timings. I never set my memory manually, unless I'm running 4 sticks and the bios defaults to a lower speed. You can start by using the cmos jumper (with the system turned off), and set the boot order after you reboot.