Sign in with
Your question

Need advice before EOB today

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2009 5:58:59 PM

Sorry for the rush on this but I need some advice.

First my system details.

CPU - Intel 6750
RAM - 8GB OCZ Reaper
Mobo - EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW
Video Card - EVGA 8800 GT Superclocked (g92 512 mb)
Network Card - Killer K1
Power Supply - Antec TruePower Trio 650

I'm a Wolrd of Warcraft addict so I'm always looking for better frame rates. I was looking to upgrade video cards so I went yesterday and picked up a GeForce GTX 260 (core 216 55nm) superclocked edition.

I got it home, installed it, fired up WoW and in dark places on the screen tiny blue dots were everywhere. Also I noticed my frame rates weren't any better than the 8800 gt (512 g92).
I called EVGA support and they recommended I run an older version of the driver and recommended I update my MB bios. Didn't help. I put my 8800 gt back in, no dots. EVGA told me to return it to the store where I bought it and swap it for another. If the second one does it I may need a better power supply.

Finally to my question, what would you do? I hate to spend $269 (+tax) to not see any improvement in the one pc game I play. I can get a 9800 GTX + and spend $100 less. The 9800 has the faster clock but less cores / memory / etc. But again I don't know if I would see any improvement.
I've got the card and receipt with me and I'm going back to the store when I get off work. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh, not sure how valueable this is but I run dual monitors a Dell 30" (2560x1600) and a Dell 20" (1600 x 1200)
I play WoW at 2560x1600 on the main monitor.

More about : advice eob today

February 3, 2009 1:46:37 AM

Graphic cards 'can' be bad too. IMO its worth trying at least one store swap to make absolutely sure. Get the 2nd one if it does it again go from there on the troubleshooting end...

Nvidia's site lists you only needing a 500w power supply for the gtx 260, so that really shouldn't be your issue unless you've some huge power consuming hardware that was unlisted.

You should see some decent improvement in WoW over the 8800 gts 512. Not in the entire world though. Especially in places like Dalaran where you will always suffer less than desireable framerates (depending on your server/time). For the most part though I was always satisfied with my 8800 gts 512 at max settings and max AA/MS in WoW @ 1680x1050. So to be honest I dont expect that you will see a HUGE improvement but a decent one since I'm sure you want to run WoW at max settings at 2560x1600, which is quite a bit more demanding than my resolution.

As for another card go for either the 4870 1Gig version, or go up to a GTX 285 or 4870x2. Geforce 9k series will give you very negligible improvment over your current card. Definately not worth the money. The 4870 1 Gig version is really compareable to the gtx 260 core 216 though. I'd really either try to get a working 260 or go up to the next performance tier.
!