Does "DVD to PocketPC" really work?

May 25, 2004 7:41:30 AM

My wife is having an extended stay in the hospital. Her birthday is coming
up and I'm thinking of getting her a Pocket PC. She loves computer games,
and I see these are available for the PocketPC. But it would really be
great,
if I could bring her movies to watch. Is the PocketPC practical for watching
movies? If so is "DVD to PocketPC" the program to get? If I go this route,
would it be possible to load a spare SD card with a new movie and swap it
when I go visit?

If all this is possible, what would be a good hardware\software combination
to do the job? How big should the SD cards be?

--
Bob D.

More about : dvd pocketpc work

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 7:41:31 AM

Works fine.

It will make the files for either 128mb or 256mb sizes ...so if you get a
512mb card, you could put 2 x DVDs at better resolution of 4 x lower
resolution DVDs.

Hardware required... DVD drive on PC.
For speed of transfer, card reader... if you have USB 2.0, get a USB 2.0
reader.
www.coribright.com

"Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> My wife is having an extended stay in the hospital. Her birthday is coming
> up and I'm thinking of getting her a Pocket PC. She loves computer games,
> and I see these are available for the PocketPC. But it would really be
> great,
> if I could bring her movies to watch. Is the PocketPC practical for
watching
> movies? If so is "DVD to PocketPC" the program to get? If I go this route,
> would it be possible to load a spare SD card with a new movie and swap it
> when I go visit?
>
> If all this is possible, what would be a good hardware\software
combination
> to do the job? How big should the SD cards be?
>
> --
> Bob D.

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 8:05:25 PM

works like a champ.

I would get at least a 256mb SD card, a 512 would be even better.

Be sure your main computer has a DVD drive (obvious?). Be prepared to let
the conversion take several hours. I've done most of my own DVD collection
and typically find that it takes perhaps twice as long as the movie runs.
For ease I simply start it at night before going to bed and let it do its
thing while I sleep.

I can usually fit two movies on my 256mb card depending on movie length.

This ought to be a nice treat for your wife. It's also possible that there
is a wireless network in the hospital that she could tap into. It's
actually almost a certainty that there is a local WiFi network but it may be
encrypted to allow hospital staff only. I have been in several hospitals
however that had open networks. So, you might consider a PPC which has WiFi
just in case. If it works out right she might be able to surf the web and
check/send email.

$0.02

Terry

"Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> My wife is having an extended stay in the hospital. Her birthday is coming
> up and I'm thinking of getting her a Pocket PC. She loves computer games,
> and I see these are available for the PocketPC. But it would really be
> great,
> if I could bring her movies to watch. Is the PocketPC practical for
watching
> movies? If so is "DVD to PocketPC" the program to get? If I go this route,
> would it be possible to load a spare SD card with a new movie and swap it
> when I go visit?
>
> If all this is possible, what would be a good hardware\software
combination
> to do the job? How big should the SD cards be?
>
> --
> Bob D.

Related resources
May 28, 2004 8:23:07 PM

"Terry A. Austin" <taaustin~lock@nospam.templejc.edu> wrote in message
> works like a champ.
>
> I would get at least a 256mb SD card, a 512 would be even better.
>
> Be sure your main computer has a DVD drive (obvious?). Be prepared to let
> the conversion take several hours. I've done most of my own DVD
collection
> and typically find that it takes perhaps twice as long as the movie runs.
> For ease I simply start it at night before going to bed and let it do its
> thing while I sleep.
>
> I can usually fit two movies on my 256mb card depending on movie length.
>
> This ought to be a nice treat for your wife. It's also possible that
there
> is a wireless network in the hospital that she could tap into. It's
> actually almost a certainty that there is a local WiFi network but it may
be
> encrypted to allow hospital staff only. I have been in several hospitals
> however that had open networks. So, you might consider a PPC which has
WiFi
> just in case. If it works out right she might be able to surf the web and
> check/send email.
>
> $0.02
>
> Terry
>

> "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> > My wife is having an extended stay in the hospital. Her birthday is
coming
> > up and I'm thinking of getting her a Pocket PC. She loves computer
games,
> > and I see these are available for the PocketPC. But it would really be
> > great,
> > if I could bring her movies to watch. Is the PocketPC practical for
> watching
> > movies? If so is "DVD to PocketPC" the program to get? If I go this
route,
> > would it be possible to load a spare SD card with a new movie and swap
it
> > when I go visit?
> >
> > If all this is possible, what would be a good hardware\software
> combination
> > to do the job? How big should the SD cards be?
> >
> > --
> > Bob D.

Also consider Pocket DVD Studio which is the one I use (they have a demo you
can try to see if it suits you). Currently encoding SWAT to take away with
me tomorrow. Currently 36 minutes down and 26 minutes to go so thats just
over an hour for a typical film. Its set to just under the highest quality
setting and will be approximately 240MB when finished. I'll drop this onto
my 256MB SD card with a card reader. The bigger the card the more movies
you can put on it so its a matter of what you can afford. You can have as
many films as you have cards - just drop the card in and watch the film.
Great quality and never had a problem with it. (Also - get some
headphones - sound is a lot better and you wont disturb the other patients).
Using an IPAQ 5450. Shaun
May 28, 2004 8:49:40 PM

> [...]
> > >

> Also consider Pocket DVD Studio which is the one I use (they have a demo
you
> can try to see if it suits you). Currently encoding SWAT to take away
with
> me tomorrow. Currently 36 minutes down and 26 minutes to go so thats just
> over an hour for a typical film. Its set to just under the highest
quality
> setting and will be approximately 240MB when finished. I'll drop this
onto
> my 256MB SD card with a card reader. The bigger the card the more movies
> you can put on it so its a matter of what you can afford. You can have as
> many films as you have cards - just drop the card in and watch the film.
> Great quality and never had a problem with it. (Also - get some
> headphones - sound is a lot better and you wont disturb the other

Forgot the website http://www.pqdvd.com/
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 6:04:02 PM

> Forgot the website http://www.pqdvd.com/

Interesting, that the screen grab on that website of the Pocket-DVD Studio
application in use says that the DVD process being encoded has elapsed 3
seconds, but has over 107 hours left to go!

Is it really that slow? I don't tend to have 4 and a half days free just to
re-encode a DVD!

D.
June 2, 2004 4:19:56 AM

"David Wright" <david.wright@open.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > Forgot the website http://www.pqdvd.com/
>
> Interesting, that the screen grab on that website of the Pocket-DVD Studio
> application in use says that the DVD process being encoded has elapsed 3
> seconds, but has over 107 hours left to go!
>
> Is it really that slow? I don't tend to have 4 and a half days free just
> re-encode a DVD!
>
> D.

Lol, I encoded SWAT last weekend for a 256MB SD card and it took 1hr and
7mins. HTH, Shaun
!