Windows 7 installation cancel

jcd1006

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I have a friend with an Acer laptop, with built in system recovery(as opposed to discs for installation)...they had a virus and thought they could just repair windows with the recovery but once they realized it was going to install windows, they turned the computer off. Now when the computer starts, it goes through bios, then it goes to the windows loading screen(screen before welcome/user selection screen) and then it goes to setup is starting. I checked the directories using UBCD4WIN and everything is still intact, however I need a way to either alter startup so the setup doesn't run or a way to cancel the startup. Any ideas?

Why don't you let it continue and install Windows again? It will create a folder on your hard drive called Windows.old with all of your data and files intact. It is normally better to do a reinstall after a virus attack anyway.
I don't know how far the Windows instillation has got if you do want to abort this instillation.If you had the installation disk you could try start up repair or try hitting F8 when the computer starts to load.

jcd1006

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
They have a program they purchased, don't have the link or setup.exe file anymore and really need it. I looked all around the internet and couldn't find it. It was something from one of his freshman year college friends. So with the reinstall he wouldn't be able to use it, would he?