Sign in with
Your question

Setting up Creatvie X-Fi from an Asus Rampage 2 Extreme

Last response: in Components
April 4, 2009 8:22:14 AM

I am trying to set up the creative x-fi card that came with my Asus Rampage 2 Extreme. On the receiver it says that its only putting out stereo. I am using an optical cable and have set up the speaker config on the software for 7.1. Any advice or tutorials that anyone knows about them?
April 4, 2009 3:39:32 PM

you also have to enable surround sound in the OS. what OS are you using?
April 8, 2009 9:37:06 AM

Vista 64 Ultimate
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 8, 2009 11:55:38 AM

An optical SPdif cable can not carry 7.1, hence the issue. A SPdif cable can only carry:

1: Up to 192kbs 2.0 LPCM
2: Dolby Digital (5.1)
3: DTS (5.1/6.1)
4: Other compressed formats?

Only a HDMI connection has the bandwith to carry a 7.1 LPCM signal, which is probably what you are trying to output. Try setting your Digital Out to DD or DTS, which should guarentee a 5.1 signal, and go from there.
April 12, 2009 2:59:31 AM

The optical link will give you 5.1. Using the CREATIVE CONSOLE LAUNCHER on ENCODER option you can choose between Dobly Digital Live ot DTS Connect.There is another option if you want a 7.1 sound from your XFI card to your receiver. This is what i have in my set-up.For 5.1 audio i use the optical link.For media with 7.1 sound (if you can find one) here the actual connection i have.My receiver has 8 Amplifiers with different input options/modes common to receivers. Its a professional receiver that i purchase when HDMI is still on the drawing board.  It also has individual PREAMP INPUTS.  I use the XFI 7.1 speaker out to drive my receiver PREAMP-Inputs.  This works with the following considerations.1) You need a lot of cables and GOOD CABLES which you can buy from Professional Audio stores.2) You need to check the PRE_AMP inputs of your receiverIf your happy with 5.1 you don't need the second option.I have both setup in my PC and Receiver.  My receiver can expand 5.1 to 7.1 so it works. When i'm watching HD and Blue-Ray disc and want to hear the 7.1 output from POWER-DVD i use the external connections.Frankly speaking i have seen a handful of Blue-Ray,HD-DVD& DVD with 6.1 Audio. Majority still use 5.1.I'm one of those waiting for George Lucas Star-Wars in Blue-Ray and see if it will include 7.1 audio.
June 21, 2009 12:27:18 PM

I cant get my 5.1 surround sound working on my ASUS Rampage II Extreme Onboard sound card (same as above). I only get the option of 2.1 speakers or headphones. Can someone give me some advice as to how to get it working? There is simply no option i can find to get the 5.1 showing up.

I am using Vista 64bit OS.

Cheers
June 22, 2009 2:55:57 AM

Kezza_PwNz said:
I cant get my 5.1 surround sound working on my ASUS Rampage II Extreme Onboard sound card (same as above). I only get the option of 2.1 speakers or headphones. Can someone give me some advice as to how to get it working? There is simply no option i can find to get the 5.1 showing up.

I am using Vista 64bit OS.

Cheers

How are you outputing the signal? via optical or coax cable to an amp? If so the only way to get 5.1 multi channel to your receiver as mentioned above is via dolby digital/DTS live which all creative x-fi cards support (accept xtreme audio I think). I had no end of trouble in this area as I could not get more than stereo sound through my 6.1 setup then I read that creative had previously crippled all their drivers apart from audigy prelude, it wasnt till a guy started releasing moded creative drivers with real time 5.1 decoding enabled that forced creatives hand to allow unlocking of dolby digital live on all cards. Previously it would allow only stereo spdif or multi channel dvd pass through.

I assume the rampage etreme add in card is no different to any other x-fi card, just make sure dolby digital live is turned on and 5.1 selected. Sorry cant be more specific as to where this will be, on my x-fi card its a tab of its own in the settings but I had to pay the 5bucks to creative to download the unlocker to get this tab to appear.

If your not outputing via this method then sorry I cant help you as theres no reason why it shouldnt work when each speaker is individually plugged in to the card.
June 22, 2009 4:45:22 AM

In regards to set up i am using the logitech x540 speakers and i am just connecting them into the appropriate spots into the back of the sound card (green for front, black for bass and center and orange for rear).

In regards to dolby digital i can find an option to enable it at all, and the option to change speaker configuration is not given. I can only "optimize speakers for headphone" (which is a click to confirm option) otherwise it stays as 2.1.

\""

Thanks
June 22, 2009 4:57:38 AM

Sorry cant really help you then, DDL is only for output to a receiver via optical or coax cable, afaik.
Have you tried updating to latest drivers?
Also if you right click on the speaker icon in your taskbar and go to playback devices then there should be speakers creative x-fi or something to that effect, right click on those and select configure speakers the it should have stereo, quadraphonic and 5.1 options, select 5.1 and then test each individual channel inc sub.
This shouldnt really make a difference as Im pretty sure whatever I do in creative panel is the same in windows audio but still worth a shot.
June 22, 2009 5:24:35 AM

Haha your a absolute legend.

I went through this last time (playback devices) and tried to set it up (this being my ....checks watch.... 13th hour on Vista, just coming from xp.) but i didnt right click configure on that one speaker property.

I finfally found an option for 5.1 and now the x-fi is recognising it!

Legend!

Thanks for your speedy reply and such!

do you get points for replying or are u just helping out.. either way thanks man!
June 22, 2009 5:42:04 AM

Mint! stoaked I could help, yea vistas a bitch at hiding important stuff like that, ive been using it for a couple years now and the other day I actually checked my speaker config and took me a min to remember it was under there lol.

Nah no points im just studying for law finals so any excuse for procrastination is good, and forums are especially good. Also I know the intense frustration of not having 5.1 out with 5.1 speakers lol.

anywaz enjoy!
June 22, 2009 5:50:33 AM

Best of luck with your finals. I just finished all my exams at uni last week. 7 weeks of holidays! :p 
June 29, 2009 4:10:45 PM

I have the same problem getting my 5.1 external decoder to connect to the card that came with the Rampage Extreme.

Downloaded the DDL packaged (for 5 bucks) but it said that it hardware not detected. I assume this works on Vista only? Please advise what options for someone on XP like me has.

Cheers.
October 2, 2009 12:38:15 AM

Hate to burst your bubble boys, but the included sound card with the Rampage II Extreme doe snot support Dolby at all, the most you'll get out of this card is a halfassed optical signal, and if you have a mix amp (Tritton Ax Pro, Astros A40, etc) those amps will give you Dolby Pro Logic, basically the amps will do you a favor and convert the crappy signal into Pro Logic, that's what the mix amps do with signals that lack fidelity. I have the Tritton AX Pro connected with the optical cable, and I only get Pro Logic. Pretty sad in my opinion. A full size card won't fit unless you bend the first 5 pieces of the chip set heat sink, which could affect the cooling effect of the sink or not, I couldn't tell you either way. I personally plan to get the full size card and bend those pins, I won't let this MOBO get in the way of good sound. Peace.
!