Hole in motherboard tray?

LiteBulb

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
What's the point of having an access hole in the motherboard tray in regards to the cpu cooler? I always see and hear complaints of cases that don't have a hole in the tray to "access the cooler's retention plate."

I have no idea why this makes it easier. Can't you take the other side panel off when you install a new cooler? Don't you have to take it off regardless?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry, this should be under the Cases section.

jakarai

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
It's for core i7. If you want to switch out the CPU cooler on an i7 build you must take off the bracket that sits on the back of the motherboard. Without a rear access hole you must take the hole motherboard out of the case.

LiteBulb

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Can't you just take off the side panel of the case to remove the bracket? I believe most cases allow users to take off both side panels. Plus, isn't the access hole covered up by the motherboard anyway?

I'm really missing something here...

WrathCity

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

What you're missing is that the motherboard tray isn't a side panel. Once you take the back side panel off, there is another smaller panel inside which the motherboard is mounted to. Since the retention plate is mounted to the back of the motherboard, it is inbetween the motherboard and the motherboard tray. Without a hole in the motherboard tray, the only way to get to it would be to take the motherboard off.