Is paging file on data partition necessary

drpcdr_ca

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hello, I usually set a 2046 MB block paging file on C:\(OS).

I also set a 846 MB block paging file on D:\ (data). The data partition contains my (documents, pics, music, video, shared, favorites, personal folders of outlook).

I image C:\ and paste the image files onto D:\. Whenever necessary I restore an image of C:\.

Do antivirus software like Avast home scan paging file for malware?
Can malware inhabit paging file?

Is paging file on data partition necessary?

http://drpcdr.ca
http://jobcircle.ca

Solution
Placing the pagefile on a partition other than the system partition on the same physical drive is futile unless you are running out of space on the system partition and need to do something, anything, to free up space.
If you set the pagefile to a different physical drive, Windows will use that pagefile until it needs more, then it will utilize the allocated pagefile (if exist) on the system drive.

Good anti-virus programs do scan the pagefile, and yes, malware will do whatever it's program is designed to do.

Since you have indicated where, and the size of your pagefile(s) I'll skip details of where and how to set pagefiles in Windows.

Placing the pagefile on a partition other than the system partition on the same physical drive is futile unless you are running out of space on the system partition and need to do something, anything, to free up space.
If you set the pagefile to a different physical drive, Windows will use that pagefile until it needs more, then it will utilize the allocated pagefile (if exist) on the system drive.

Good anti-virus programs do scan the pagefile, and yes, malware will do whatever it's program is designed to do.

Since you have indicated where, and the size of your pagefile(s) I'll skip details of where and how to set pagefiles in Windows.

Solution

drpcdr_ca

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

---------------------------------------------
Thanks for feedback

So I can eliminate the paging file on the data partition? I noticed that windows adds up the paging files and reports a total paging file of 2892 MB. Does that mean it uses it as one contiguous paging file even though the files are on separate partitions belonging to 1 single HD?

drpcdr_ca

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

Can/do viruses attack invisible 100 MB boot partition of Windows 7?

Thanks for the vote.

I don't use Win7 ... Maybe I'll go for Win8 when it shows up.

Historically, hidden volumes were only hidden from users but there are methods of 'seeing' them anyway.
If you are running Win7 you could try opening a CMD window and enter Diskpart, and when you get the prompt back, enter List volume
This may show all drives and partitions, but I'm not positive Win7 has Diskpart.
If all volumes appear, including your hidden volume then a virus can find it too.

This would be a good thread to start in the Win7 forum. There are people there that know Win7 very well and can give a definite answer.

TRENDING THREADS