Cases which support 10.5 inch graphics card

dRaiK

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I've been looking around some cases, and I'm planning to buy the GTX 275, which I heard was 10.5 inches long. So she is quite a big graphics card.

I'm just wondering if I would need a full tower to actually fit this graphics card in? Or will a mid tower do just fine?

If I need either a full tower or mid tower, I got some towers which I like in my mind. Please comment and rate which you like:
Thermaltake Full Towers:
Shark
Armour
Soprano FX
Xaser VI

Thermaltake Mid Towers:
V9 Gaming Case
Xaser VI MX (mid tower ver of Xaser VI)
Soprano Mid Tower

If anyone would like to throw more cases into the mix, I'm happy to see them. Really I think thermaltake has the best looks as far as cases go.

SIDE QUESTION: The thermaltake shark case is extremely difficult to find in Australia. Staticice shows very limited trustworthy sites. Does anyone know where I can buy this online to have it safely shipped to Australia? This site must be trustworthy and have good service especially in packaging.

GTX 275 is 10.5 inches long - just like the GTX 260. And GTX 285 and GTX 295 - all 10.5 inches.

Full tower not required. All the cases on your list will fit the GTX 275 (and the rest)
Thermaltake M9 also has enough room.

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
i managed to fit an ati 4870 x 2 which is the same size i think into an antec 300 just had to place in at an angle first then once in side it had plenty of room. however took up a lil bit of the space the hard drives would have so if u have any more than 3 hard drives u may have issues

dRaiK

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Thanks a lot guys. Can I have a second opinion on which one looks the best? My favourites are the V9, M9, Xaser VI and the Gigabyte Poseidon 310.

tecmo34

Administrator
I would lean toward the M9. It is was the case I used for my first build. I added an I-Cage from Thermaltake for added cooling. I looked at the V9 and didn't like it in person and I've never been a fan of cases with "doors" on the front. The cable management on the M9 isn't the best however, so if you have a lot of cables on your PSU, I would go with the Xaser VI or V9 for their cable management.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
There is only 1 graphics card out now that you have to be careful with and that is the 4850 X2. Why don't you get the 4890? It is the exact same thing but it is out now.

G

I'm sorry to add in here but I have a similar question. Will at gtx 295 fit inside an antec nine hundred case?

dRaiK

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Nice link djcoolmasterx. I looked around and I find the NZXT cases are at the same price and have a really good look. I found the nemesis elite my case, and its picture is the 3rd from the top left corner (refer to link).

Would you say it fitted the case? Some of me is saying yes and no.

dRaiK

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Yes, it barely fits.

Just have to hope in the future, graphic cards don't get longer. I need to stick with this case as long as possible.

blueberryfreckle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Hi,

Has anyone actually installed a 10.5" video card into a Thermaltake V9 case? Thermaltake's Tech Support indicated to me that the case can only accommodate video cards up to 9.6".

I am seriously considering the Black Edition to house a GTX 285 but for this seemingly poor design snafu.

Thanks!!!

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
CM690. I have mine loaded to the teeth with 120mm fans and with the CPUfan maxed out all the time I was able to overclock it to 3.4GHZ.

blueberryfreckle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009

Thanks WR2, for the links to Newegg customer reviews, HardwareSecrets video review, and the CPU cooler warning!!!

I am glad to have been misinformed and that a GTX 285 will fit in the Thermaltake V9 BE case.

I am also glad to have heeded your last suggestion. I was considering the Zalman CNPS9900 originally but did a bit more research per your recommendation.

Paul D from the Newegg reviews discovered a CNPS9900 does not fit in the Thermaltake V9, at least not with the side fan present. This agrees with Thermaltake's FAQ, which states that 6.2" is the maximum cooler height the V9 can accommodate--the CNPS9900 is 6.24".

Now I am looking for a socket 1366 cooler. Know of any good coolers that are easy to install and near the CNPS9900 in performance?

Thanks!!!

blueberryfreckle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009

Thanks WR2!

Received the case from Newegg just recently. Measurements indicate I might accommodate 5.5", which supports Thermaltake's FAQ (had I been looking in the right place).

Went back to the Thermaltake website. The 6.2" max cooler height was for the non-Black Edition. Black Edition has a 5.4" limit.

After some research, I decided to purchase a Noctua NH-C12P. $65 from Newegg. It has a low profile, cools with the best of them, and is superbly quiet. Noctua also seems to have a good reputation for quality products. Just have to wait 2 weeks or so for the LGA1366 mounting kit from Austria (free from Noctua's website) since it isn't packaged with the cooler.

Looking forward to receiving it! Thanks again for your insight!