New CPU fan running at very high speed (Arctic Cooling Freezer 7)

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I have recently built my first computer and it seems to work as expected. However the CPU fan is running at a very high speed and is very loud.

The components that might be interesting:

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 2.8 Ghz
FAN: ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO REV.2
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P7P55D-E LX

I have installed Windows 7 just default and have not changed anything in the BIOS.
The CPU cores is not doing any work and does not seem to be hot either.

What can I do to lower the speed of the CPU fan?

Solution
You should be able to do this via software (speedfan), assuming you have a 4 pin fan. I had Rev 1 of this cooler and it came with an adjustable speed fan.

Alternatively, and probably preferred, you can go into your bios, probably in the PC Health section, and adjust fan speed. You may have the option to choose a percentage to stay at 24/7, or an optimal CPU temperature which will ramp up your fan if it nears your specified temp.

I would make sure your temps are in line with your processor's specs first for sure. If they are pretty close to the specified max, try reseating your HSF. You'll want to apply new thermal material if you do this, so if you don't have any on hand get some ordered before you reseat.

You may want to get...

cookies

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
You should be able to do this via software (speedfan), assuming you have a 4 pin fan. I had Rev 1 of this cooler and it came with an adjustable speed fan.

Alternatively, and probably preferred, you can go into your bios, probably in the PC Health section, and adjust fan speed. You may have the option to choose a percentage to stay at 24/7, or an optimal CPU temperature which will ramp up your fan if it nears your specified temp.

I would make sure your temps are in line with your processor's specs first for sure. If they are pretty close to the specified max, try reseating your HSF. You'll want to apply new thermal material if you do this, so if you don't have any on hand get some ordered before you reseat.

You may want to get some input from folks around here about how hot your processor should be getting. I have experience with the C2Ds and AM3 chips, and know about optimal temps there, but can't really give you any sort of meaningful input on i7 temps.

Solution

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Thank you for your reply!

I have used speedfan to check the CPU temperatures and the fan rate (2000 RPM), but have not tried to do any settings with the tool. If I would, will those settings be preserved or would I have to (some way or another) start speedfan at every computer startup?

The hardware method through BIOS seems to be better if is working. Do you or anyone else know if there is a risk for CPU overheat if I set the fan speed too low in bios?

As for the temperatures so far they seems very low, around 20-25C.

[Do you or anyone else know if there is a risk for CPU overheat if I set the fan speed too low in bios?]

It's hard to guess as to what he correct speed should be set to. It's better to set the speed to automatic and let the BIOS decide what the speed should be. If this does not seem to solve the heat issue, then look for the problem elsewhere. Thermal compound properly applied?

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I did not really had a heat issue, more that the fan spinned a little too much. I have now tried to adjust it through BIOS and the RPM did go down from 2000 to about 900. The CPU core temperature went from 20 to 30C, but I guess that is still not much.